CPU fan error?

HCLPfan

Gawd
So I finish formatting my main comp. Just got all my drivers and programs reinstalled and windows has just installed an update on my comp and needs a restart. So I go ahead and allow the restart but as it boots back up I now get a screen that flashed "CPU fan error!" and goes immediately to a black screen with blinking underscore curser that you can't type with. Wtf happened? heh

Here are my specs:
Asus P4C800-E Delux
Intel Pentium 4 3.0C Northwood 800MHz FSB
Thermaltake Spark-7 HS/Fan

make sure your heatsink fan is plugged into the "cpu_fan" not the "cha1_fan" or any other plug..

alex paik said:
make sure your heatsink fan is plugged into the "cpu_fan" not the "cha1_fan" or any other plug..

It is, the thing is its not even a new build. It's a system I've been using for over a year now. All I did was reboot. Didn't move any wires or anything.

is the cpu fan spinning?
if so, try plugging the cpu fan into another socket on the mobo.

quadnad said:
try plugging the cpu fan into another socket on the mobo

I went ahead and tried switching the plugs of the CPU fan and the back 80mm fan and it booted to that black screen with the blinking underscore again but this time with no CPU fan error! screen

Yeah I can get inot the bios just fine. It does all the regular booting and i get the error right before the windows boot screen would normally come up

if the fan is spinning, than in BIOS go to power / hardware monitor / CPU fan speed and set to "Ignored"

*check the temps first*

I disabled it and it booted just fine but to make sure i wasn't frying my chip i went and installed MBM5. The installation required a reboot so I did and it froze at the windows loading screen. So I restarted it again and it went the the black screen but not cpu fan error. I then went into the bios and it was still disabled and it was reporting 50 degrees C just sitting in bios. I tried a few more times and it just sticks at the black screen. Could I have fried something?

50 C idling in bios? yeah, thats far too hot.

check to make sure all the required connections from the PSU are there and remount the CPU with some new paste.

I have the same board you do...And when I've run into the blinking underscore problems....Usually resetting cmos with the jumper fixes this....If it doesn't rma the board....Still if you do find a fix for it lemme know, lol...I'm eager to hear your fix....That is...Just incase I ever run into this error...

Back