CPU cooler fans not spinning

Valandil

n00b
I'm building a new computer and having some trouble that I hope someone here can help with.

I purchased the microcenter 7700x deal with MSI b650-p wifi mobo and gskill flare ram.

Yesterday everything seemed fine but today the CPU cooler fans won't spin.

It's a peerless assassin 120se argb cooler. The rgb lights still come on and case fans are on.

Bios shows the fans at 0rpm and doesn't do anything if I hit the button that says all on full.

Temps seem to hover around 37 to 40C while in bios.

Crashed when I tried to reinstall OS and I noticed the CPU fans were not spinning.

Kind of at a loss. Wires are connected to cpu fan header via the splitter that came with cooler.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help

Try each fan hooked up directly to the CPU fan header to see if they spin. If both work then you need another splitter.

If they still don't spin try another header on the motherboard. Last thing is try changing the BIOS fan options from DC to PWM to see if that makes any change. Sounds like you already configured BIOS to makes fan spin at full speed. Also wouldn't hurt to update the BIOS.

Try each fan hooked up directly to the CPU fan header to see if they spin. If both work then you need another splitter.

If they still don't spin try another header on the motherboard. Last thing is try changing the BIOS fan options from DC to PWM to see if that makes any change. Sounds like you already configured BIOS to makes fan spin at full speed. Also wouldn't hurt to update the BIOS.
Thanks for the suggestions. None of the fan headers seem to do anything. CPU fan or system. Changing from pwm to DC didn't have an effect.

I tried to update bios to the most recent one on the MSI site but it seemed to be same as I have already. Going to verify I downloaded the correct one

I realized case fans are only running because they are plugged into an RGB hub that came with the case. Plugging the cooler fans into that and they run...

The rgb header device does get dedicated power from the power supply and it has a connection to sys fan1 header but the motherboard doesn't seem to see them in bios, like with the CPU fan.

So I think I will download a few of the recent bios versions and see if any work.

Any other suggestions would be very appreciated.

Honestly, I wouldn't waste time doing multiple BIOS flashes for an issue like this. It's rare that something as simple as fan control gets completely borked by a BIOS revision (especially on multiple headers), so it's more likely that they are just fried. A quick board replacement is probably a better idea.

Thanks for the suggestions. None of the fan headers seem to do anything. CPU fan or system. Changing from pwm to DC didn't have an effect.

I tried to update bios to the most recent one on the MSI site but it seemed to be same as I have already. Going to verify I downloaded the correct one

I realized case fans are only running because they are plugged into an RGB hub that came with the case. Plugging the cooler fans into that and they run...

The rgb header device does get dedicated power from the power supply and it has a connection to sys fan1 header but the motherboard doesn't seem to see them in bios, like with the CPU fan.

So I think I will download a few of the recent bios versions and see if any work.

Any other suggestions would be very appreciated.
use the fan hub to power your cpu fan while you flash. when done, remove it(fan hub) and hook up the fan to the cpu fan header.

Thanks everyone for the help. I ended up opening a ticket with MSI and they said you could try updating the BIOS but recommended returning to store if I was still within the window. I am so looks like I need to take a trip to Microcnter. I debated just buying a pre-built this time but went with building my own. Maybe I should of just went the easy route :) Hopefully a new board will sort me out.

I mean I would at least update the BIOS to the newest available. Just one BIOS update, not wasting your time on trying multiple revisions. It's unlikely to fix it but worth a shot over the hassle of disassembling the PC to swap the motherboard.

I mean I would at least update the BIOS to the newest available. Just one BIOS update, not wasting your time on trying multiple revisions. It's unlikely to fix it but worth a shot over the hassle of disassembling the PC to swap the motherboard.
I did check and I had downloaded the most recent version of the BIOS. I ran mflash with the update but unfortunately it didn't seem to change anything.

I did check and I had downloaded the most recent version of the BIOS. I ran mflash with the update but unfortunately it didn't seem to change anything.
have you disconnected all other fans and that hub, and then tried just the cpu fan header?

Back