CPU Compatibility question?

LancerJay

Weaksauce
Ok I have ordered an ASUSP4P800 865PE motherboard a few days ago from www.newegg.com. It is a 478 Socket Motherboard and it says that it also supports Celeron. Which confuses me because it's a 478 socket and Celeron's are 370? I don't know if I completely trust their specs on the motherboard. So I'm asking if you guys have any idea if this is true or not that it supports both processors.

Well since I'm already in here I might as well ask the questions that have been on my mind lately.

I ordered a new case and motherboard with 2 80mm Blue LED fans for my case. I can order about $200 worth of parts every month. I'm debating whether or not I should buy the p4 2.4c with zalman7000 fan and wait til the next month to buy two 512mb sticks of pc3500 or pc3700 and use my 37gb hard drive from this current system. OR buy two 256mb sticks of ram with an 80gb hard drive and use my current 1.2 celeron processor and wait til the next month to buy the cpu+fan combo. If I do that I have yet ANOTHER question, will I be able to run my CPU with the ram setup if it IS compatible with the mobo. I hope everything makes sense any help would be appreciated.

The new Celerons are also socket 478. A little research on the motherboards site and product page for your board would have confirmed that quickly.

Well since there are newer celerons that come in 478 socket I'm guessing the 370 celerons won't fit it. I don't think I should try to fit it. I tried looking around on the ASUS website and the only processor they put up for compatibility is the pentium 4. They don't even mention Celerons. So I guess I'm either getting the CPU+fan combo or the RAM, thanks for replying to my post djnes I appreciate it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for which type/brand/speed of RAM I should use? at first I wanted to just get pc3200 corsair XMS series, but I read the post that was on RAM and all of it's functions. It was recommended to get pc3500 if you were looking to overclock. I do want to overclock, but I'm very new when it comes to it. I have a pretty good idea of how to do it, but I still need some info on it. I have been doing research on it and still plan to. Right now I'm looking at the pc3500 and pc3700 Corsair. Is there any benefits of using corsair over kingstonX series or geil? or any other brands? I'm looking at mid-level prices, no more than $220 with at least 512mb of ram. and i want to take advantage of the dual channel.

Back