Could a Lanbox hold a 4870?

NaveAdair

Weaksauce
I built a Lanbox for someone with an 8800GT, which is a fairly large card. I want to move my computer into a Lanbox... but I have an HD4870, which is twice the thickness of the 8800GT (doubt that's a problem) and about an inch longer (which may be a problem). Does anyone have any experience here, or can anyone at least make an educated guess?

EDIT: Additional parenthetical statement regarding card length.

Probably if you take out the lower HD cage and put the HD in the 3.5" slot.

That's actually a very good idea. That would allow plenty of room for the card (and even simplify wiring :D). I've never mounted a HDD in a slot that wasn't meant specifically for HDDs... hell, I've never even used a 3.5" bay before (o_O). Do I need anything specific to mount it or does the bay have the right screw placement, et cetera?

You could also mount a hard drive in the other 5.25" drive bay as well (with a bay converter). Just putting that option out there.

Ang is correct - you remove the HD cage and use the upper rack.

Or if you have a DFI P45 JR or DFI X58 JR, you can stick the card in the lower PCIE slot, which may require cutting/trimming the 3.5" external cage.

That's actually a very good idea. That would allow plenty of room for the card (and even simplify wiring :D). I've never mounted a HDD in a slot that wasn't meant specifically for HDDs... hell, I've never even used a 3.5" bay before (o_O). Do I need anything specific to mount it or does the bay have the right screw placement, et cetera?

Screws in just like the HD thing.. It's the same size. It allows for better airflow for the front intake fan too.. if you don't need the space, it's a win/win situation.

Back