Corsair P128 - 128gb MLC SSD - $286 AR

TheBluePill

2[H]4U
Just a reminder: Intel's 2nd gen SSD's and the rumored 40% price drop hit tomorrow (Tuesday 7/21) which might be something to consider before ordering a new SSD right now

Just a reminder: Intel's 2nd gen SSD's and the rumored 40% price drop hit tomorrow (Tuesday 7/21) which might be something to consider before ordering a new SSD right now

Interesting.. Makes it a gamble since the rebate ends today..
BUT.. Newegg does take returns..

yes, but its a price drop for the 80GB drive which now costs 300+ to costing 200+
so a OCZ or Gskill or Corsair is still cheaper at 300. (not by too much, but still)
and the performance is still a big question. If its as good as the current generation, then yes, if its slower.... well.

just order it late in the day (night). so it ships tomorrow. that way, you can cancel it before it ships if you want to.

dumb question, are SSD's compatible with notebook's that normally take your standard 2.5" inch drives?

dumb question, are SSD's compatible with notebook's that normally take your standard 2.5" inch drives?

With the caveat that your laptop 2.5" HDD interface is the same (SATA)... yes.

I have a P256 (same thing as 128 but double size) in my laptop, it was previously raid0 with 2x320gb 7200rpm. Huge difference in load times, any adobe applications, games, etc, its just lightning fast. Outperforms velociraptor raid 0 easily. These are great drives.

ALso make sure you laptop does sata II 300Mbps. If you're running SATA I 150MBps, you'll bottleneck the drive.

Also, for anyone buying these, never do a full format, always do a QUICK format. A full format causes horrible write times on the drive.

Here is a nice idea of access time and performance =)

P256 SSD

HDTune_Random_Access_CORSAIR_CMFSSD.png

Seagate 500gb 7200.3 2.5" Drive

HDTune_Random_Access_ST9500420ASG.png

Niiiice...I'm so glad I didn't break down and get an X25-M or Vertex 60GB a few weeks ago. My VR has been serving me quite nicely and will continue to until I can take a look at all the options. The new Intel drives should make things quite interesting; if all else fails I've just saved $100+ on the X25-M by waiting it out with my horribly slow VelociRaptor...hehehe.

The P256 is the one I really want, but not ready to spend $650 on a 256GB drive right now. :eek:

Back