Corsair HX850 (Regarding Tri-Fire)

refraxion

[H]F Junkie
Hey guys, I've been reading around and it seems that a Corsair HX850 is able to handle a 6990+6970 Tri-Fire setup, is this true?

I saw it over at OCN forum and others as well.

Anyone with this Tri-Fire setup happen to know what kind of temps I should be looking at for the cards?

My GTX 580's run pretty hot and I'm trying to look for a different solution. AMD seems to be the better choice in that regards.

Trying to replace 580 because it's too hot with 6990 is like trying to put down the fire with gasoline ;)

You'll be trading high temps for A Lot of noise, if you want tri-fire that's cool and also acceptable noise wise, you need to get three custom cooler/PCB 6950s/6970s and avoid the 6990 altogether :)
And yeah, the HX850 will run a tri-fire setup if you don't overvolt the GPUs and CPU.

Hmm, my board can't handle 3 way 6970's would it? the black slot would be running at 4x mode as I recall.

Is the 6990 that much hotter than the 580? I figure since it can exhaust out of my case (650D) it might be better than the 2 SLI 580's I have right now.

Is the 6990 that much hotter than the 580? I figure since it can exhaust out of my case (650D) it might be better than the 2 SLI 580's I have right now.

Well GTX 580 has a 250W TDP... 6990 has a 375W one, even more if you switch it to 6970x2.

Would the temps even out though since they exhaust half the temp outside the case unlike the 580s that exhaust all inside the case?

Nope. On the Asus cards you have two large fans blowing on the GPU, keeping it cool. With a 6990, you have one smaller fan that would need to keep TWO gpu's cool. It's comparable to a leaf blower as many people put it. You'll have a much worse noise problem. The fact that the Asus cards vent into the case won't matter if you have proper airflow in your case. Get some higher speed fans for your case would make more sense to me if you're worried about temps. Or take the heatsink off and reapply thermal paste, since factory applications usually aren't all that great.

Hmm I guess I'll stick with the cards, and wait till corsair releases a side panel so I can mount extra fans. Thanks guys.

Back