Corsair Carbide Series 500r - Now Available

I was thinking of just the black one (don't need the white even though it looks great), which is 130. But what distinct advantages are there with the 500R over the 400R that makes the 30 extra bucks worth it?

Also, on Newegg the white is only 10 bucks more than the black one ($140).

I was thinking of just the black one (don't need the white even though it looks great), which is 130. But what distinct advantages are there with the 500R over the 400R that makes the 30 extra bucks worth it?

Also, on Newegg the white is only 10 bucks more than the black one ($140).

Amazon has the black one for $119 with a $10 rebate. They had the white one for the same price a few hours ago, but it is up to $139 now.

Amazon has the black one for $119 with a $10 rebate. They had the white one for the same price a few hours ago, but it is up to $139 now.

But what I'm asking is, is there an actual distinct advantage of the 500R over the 400R? More airflow? I noticed it actually comes with a side fan, and a big one too. I guess I'd still have to supply my own 140mm fans for the top?

I just ordered the black 500r from amazon this afternoon. I have an unopened 400r that i will return to microcenter. To me the position of the 200 mm fan in the 500r looks like it wont interfere with a large cpu cooler. It looked to me like the upper side door fan on the 400r might cause a problem. Anyway after rebate I am only paying $17 more than i paid for the 400r so definitely worth it.

While I like the 400/500R cases, I have no cooling problems with my 600T SE. MY OCed 2600k at 4.6ghz is around 33c idle, and about 58-59c at load. I dont think thats too terribly bad.

If I has to pick between those 2 cases, Id pick the 500R white.

I wish corsair would make these cases alittle taller at the top edge of the mobos, So we can use the H100s in push/pull without problems or clearance issues.

I just ordered the black 500r from amazon this afternoon. I have an unopened 400r that i will return to microcenter. To me the position of the 200 mm fan in the 500r looks like it wont interfere with a large cpu cooler. It looked to me like the upper side door fan on the 400r might cause a problem. Anyway after rebate I am only paying $17 more than i paid for the 400r so definitely worth it.

I don't see how the fan would cause an issue as the panel pops out.

I thought IB was Socket 2011?

Edit: Oh, that's Sandy Bridge-E.... Why the heck is the refresh to Sandy Bridge a whole new socket, while it's successor Ivy Bridge is the same as Sandy Bridge non-E? This makes no sense to me...

I know this isn't really the right thread for this but I get a little tired sometimes of the apparent constant confusion.

Intel has 2 different platforms for the consumer market: mainstream and enthusiast. Pre sandy bridge the mainstream platform was on socket 1156 and the enthusiast platform was on socket 1366.

The sandy bridge chips that are out now are the mainstream chips on the new socket 1155. Ivy bridge which comes out sometime around march will be on socket 1155 and they will continue to be mainstream parts.

Sandy Bridge-E (enthusiast) comes out soon on the new socket 2011 and guess what? it's for the enthusiast segment. Probably around a year after SB-E comes out, IB-E will come out for socket 2011.

After all this is said and done Haswell will launch. The mainsteam chips will probably launch a year after mainstream IB and the enthusiast chips will probably launch about a year or so after IB-E. Who knows if intel will stick to socket 1155 for the mainstream socket or with 2011 as the enthusiast socket.

So to sum up, SB-E is not a refresh to sandy bridge. The chip is COMPLETELY different.

If anything, IB is the refresh to SB. Most of the chip is the same with some improvements made.

400r not removable, no fan controller and front dust screen isnt quick release...think im gonna wait for a deal on the 500r

http://promos.asus.com/US/Z68Gen3/index.htm

Essentially they are identical to the current P8Z28 boards with the exception of PCIE 3.0 slots and the ability to pop in an IB processor without a bios flash. They also have more internal USB 3.0 connections.

All z28 boards will be compatible with IB when it releases but most will need a flash.

While PCIE 3.0 cards are still a ways off it's worth waiting for these Gen3 boards due to the fact that they are releasing with nearly identical prices to the current line of Asus P8Z68 boards.

The [H] review of the P8Z68 pro sold me on the board, I'm just waiting for the Gen3 version.

Wow, sick. So my current ASUS P8Z68-V Pro can handle IB?

Does anyone know if the front fan intake grill comes off like it does in the 600T/650D?

That is a nice looking case. I'm thinking about replacing my P182 (front usb is dead now and it's not an ideal case for crossfire, and my bottom hard drives run a bit warm).

How is the noise level of the case overall? Should I order separate fans if I do decide to get this case?

This case has so much room to work with. Heres a pic with the 2600k and TZ68A+ that I picked up from the Microcenter deal.

Gz8OV.jpg

Last edited:
Great case for the price!

I'm starting on a new SB build. I've got a Lancool (LIAN LI value line) PC-K63 & wonder how this functionally compares? (I'm not a gamer so prob will just use a single vid card. But the 200mm side fan I think would help keep up the positive case pressure.)

Visual differences are obvious and the PC-K63 is just OK. Like the 500R's looks :)

Really about the same price on sale & wondered whether the vaunted Lian Li rep was worth it here :confused:

Just built one of these.. great case but could really use a window to show off the insides. Anyone know if they will make one?

Just built one of these.. great case but could really use a window to show off the insides. Anyone know if they will make one?

I read on some forums they will have this for the case....... Don't know when.

In in for one as well...got it for $89 here in Canada, lookin forward to gettin this re-rig going!

Back