Corsair 620HX for next gen of video cards?

Sparrow_69

Gawd
I recently upgraded core i7 920 @3.2, p6t, 6gz ocz 1600, bfg gtx 275 oc, corsair hx620w.

My old desktop died, so I had no choice but to upgrade right away (knowing that new video cards are on the way). Seems that ati's new offerings will be available in sept, nvidia sometime after. I suspect I will want to upgrade to a higher end card when the new ones become available. Didn't mind getting the 275 since it was cheap and I probably won't lose too much when I decide to sell.

What I'm wondering if I should go the next step up and get a higher end psu, say 750W or so, in preparation for the new cards? I'd obviously prefer not having to sell the 620hx when I upgrade (I'm still within my return window). The psu has to be quiet, and preferably not a seasonic model (my hx has the high pitched whining issue, which I suspect all seasonic-based psu's have) Any ideas as to the power requirements of new cards?

So, what do you guys think?

How old is your 620? My new 620 doesn't whine with a 4870 in Furmark and a i7 at 4.0ghz. You will probably be fine with any single card based system. Heavily oced i7 and two video cards will require at least the TX750/HX750 according to this forum and Corsair's PSU calculator.

Power usage numbers for the next gen of video cards are of course unknown at the moment, but it's a pretty safe bet that the HX620 will be plenty for any single-GPU cards that will be released.

I'm betting the next gen of Nvidia cards use less power, but that's just a guess...

By the way, the whining issue is the fault of the video card, not the PSU. It's caused by the power regulation circuitry.

By the way, the whining issue is the fault of the video card, not the PSU. It's caused by the power regulation circuitry.

I thought the psu was the issue. Seems to be a problem for seasonic-built psu's (corsair 620hx is a seasonic) and nvidia gtx cards. Has anyone successfully swapped their video card for another gtx and had the issue stop?

I thought the psu was the issue. Seems to be a problem for seasonic-built psu's (corsair 620hx is a seasonic) and nvidia gtx cards. Has anyone successfully swapped their video card for another gtx and had the issue stop?

Both my 8800GT and HD4870 whine on my HX520.

Power usage numbers for the next gen of video cards are of course unknown at the moment, but it's a pretty safe bet that the HX620 will be plenty for any single-GPU cards that will be released.

Seems that psu requirements go up with every series of new cards. Considering BFG is recommending a 575W psu for their current line, figured 620hx may not be enough for the next version.

It does happen more often with certain Seasonic PSUs, but the cause is the video cards. I have the issue with the GTX260 in my secondary PC and my Seasonic-built NeoHE 500W, but not with my 4870 and HX520. Of course, that doesn't mean that it'll only happen with nVidia cards. It's just more common with them.
Seems that psu requirements go up with every series of new cards. Considering BFG is recommending a 575W psu for their current line, figured 620hx may not be enough for the next version.
575W is not needed with current single-GPU video cards, and I doubt that much will be necessary for the next generation. That estimate is highly conservative just like estimates from every other GPU company.

Back