Corsair 520HX vs ATi 4890

dextr3k

Gawd
Ok, so I know its kinda pushing it with my 520hx to run a 4890.... and thus I've been running into this problem. During video playback, the system would freeze, video would lock up and i'd have to force reboot. This happens randomly, sometimes I can get through an entire movie and other times it'd be every 5 min.

However, I have no problems at all with extended periods of gaming, granted I only play WoW and some Call of Duty, which is hardly pushing the limits of the video card, but I wouldn't expect video playback to push it either.

Now I'm just curious is there anything I can try to confirm that it is the PSU dying/pushed to the limits? I don't want to plop down $100+ for a psu only to find out its something else heh...

The rest of my system is a C2D 6550 OC'ed, MSI 780i mobo, 3 hard drives and 6 gigs of ram.

You're not pushing your HX520 at all with that system. Unless the PSU is faulty, it's not the issue. If you want to see if it's the problem, I suggest you see if you can find a friend with a decent ~400W or higher PSU and test your system with that to see if the issues you're having still occur.

Hmmm, I guess that would be one way, this also started happening after I swapped in the 4890, but I dont want to go through warranty with Sapphire, lol....

According to catalyst control center, seems to be stable at 60C with fan speed at 25%

Ok then,
So i installed 3dmark vantage. Scores aside, I've set it at max 1080p res, extreme textures and everything, and ran it through 3 loops of just the Graphics test to stress the video card....and its perfectly fine. no problems no hiccups......

Now I am kinda confused....

Anyone have any out of the box insight? I'm running the latest 9.6 Catalyst drivers with a recent ish install of Windows 7 RC. Maybe could be my codec drivers are still for XP?

Try uninstalling any codec packs you have installed and reinstall the latest version. Also try reinstalling whatever media player you've been using. If there's an option for GPU acceleration, try setting it to the other position (if it's on, turn it off, and vice versa).

It happens with both wmp and media player classic, so if it is software problems, i'm really leaning towards dirty codecs. But I wouldnt have thought so if i was swapping hardware.

Anyways I will give that a try...

Back