Core i7-930 this month?

Thug Esquire

[H]ard|Gawd
I've hardly heard anything about this processor since it was said last year that it would come out either Q1 2010 or, more specifically, by the end of February. Is there any news about this processor? Is anyone else eager to see the 930 appear on Newegg?

Yeah, its already been released and I can see this CPU is being sold in retail and online here in Australia. Its basically a bumped up 920 and its still on a 45nm process which is kinda disappointing but expected.

Oh, thanks John. Do you think that Newegg is going to start carrying it alongside the i7-920, or do you think they'll wait to deplete their 920 stock before they move to the 930?

It's just the 45nm die with a 21 multiplier (22 w/ turbo) Currently for sale at Fry's in the US.

wow, that was fast... they've fully deactivated it now.

I've been reading on some forum since a couple of days ago, apparently, there are people out there who've gotten those 930, and now they are discussing about what batch can overclock better. I don't know how valid their claims are though

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=849763&page=8

I guess I'll wait for some reviews online first, and decide to go with the 930 or 920 (if there's still any by then:p)

Not impressed - I only see one chip on there that's clocked close to mine (the one that hit 4.2) but his volts and temps are high. I noticed a lot of them are dropping the multiplier too.

Not impressed - I only see one chip on there that's clocked close to mine (the one that hit 4.2) but his volts and temps are high. I noticed a lot of them are dropping the multiplier too.

Give it some time. The very first batches of i7 920s weren't that impressive either.

Oh, thanks John. Do you think that Newegg is going to start carrying it alongside the i7-920, or do you think they'll wait to deplete their 920 stock before they move to the 930?

The 960 was released like four months ago. The 950 is still selling along side the 960, at only a small discount. I expect the 920 to sell along side the 930 for some time. One problem is many mobos will not recognize the 930 without a bios upgrade, so people will buy the 920 to be on the safe side until mobo manufactures start shipping mobos with new bios.

I think they weren't suppose to list it until February 28th so they yanked it.
Why the 28th? What do you know? Don't hold out on me! I'm jonesing for a new build and the only thing stopping me is this processor and inflated prices for both DDR3 and 5000-series Radeons!

Last edited:
I read in a few different places that the i7 930 was coming out on February 28th. You just have to wait 1 day to see if its true. I bought an i7 920 from Microcenter a couple of weeks ago. It's still in the box just in case they have a $199 deal on the 930. I doubt that is going to happen though. They will probably keep the 920 at $199 and the 930 will be $284. Or maybe put it on sale for $259? We will find out tomorrow.

One problem is many mobos will not recognize the 930 without a bios upgrade, so people will buy the 920 to be on the safe side until mobo manufactures start shipping mobos with new bios.

I can tell you right now that won't be a problem for 99% of boards, if not 100%. The 930 just has a higher multiplier. No stepping revisions. No other changes.

I can tell you right now that won't be a problem for 99% of boards, if not 100%. The 930 just has a higher multiplier. No stepping revisions. No other changes.

You're probably right.
I just picked up an ASUS Rampage II, which has official support for 930 since a 11/2009 BIOS. But according to the sticker on my mobo, its an older 7/2009 BIOS. If I get a 930, it probably would work. But I decided not to risk it and just picked up a 920.

Depends on what the MB does when it doesn't recognize the CPU. Though in many cases, it would just give you an error message and allow you to continue to boot.

Just thought I would add this, I went to frys as I was planning on replacing my current q6600 with a 920 but they were sold out due to the 930s which they could not sell untill tomorrow (28th).

I'm going to hit Fry's tonight for some i7-930 goodness. Hopefully they're still in stock!

I swung by my local Fry's (Roseville Ca - just outside Sacramento) and they had 930's in stock.

About what was expected. Anyone seen it at MicroCenter yet? a $199 special would be nice.

That would be better then the prices in Europe. i7 920 was over $385 the other day.

MICROCENTER have a sale on the 930 for $249.99
Yep, $249.99 + $50 in gas + 2 hour drive each way. Gotta love Microcenter. If you live nearby, of course that's a great deal, but if you don't have a closeby Microcenter, it doesn't really make sense to spend the gas/mileage on the trip.

Back