Core 2 Question

Morphes

Supreme [H]ardness
Alright guys this is my first duo setup and I had some trouble with the intel heatsink. I tried to install it but the clips kept coming out, i tried everything but I eventualy got it on there. With that said I am really scared that its going to just pop off when I am not around. It has been running fine but recently I just checked my temp on the processor (via motherboard bios) and it said it was at 78c!!! I know that is way over what it is supposed to be so i cut the computer off and felt the heatsink, it felt fine. not hot not freezeing either. Basicly I have two questions

1) how are you supposed to install this heatsink?

2) What is a good After Market Heatsink that does not use retarded clips to hold it down?

woh, i had the same trouble with mine. I felt like i was going to snap my motherboard because of how hard i had to push. I never got high temps, so I think i'm OK for now. Still worried, though.

you can go with a xigmatek or the like with a bolt through kit, but the clips work ok as long as you get them right.

Look on the back of the MB and make sure the black piece is all the way through, pushing the two white pieces to the outside of the hole.

yeah they are but the part that worries me is that if i play with the heatsink and wiggle it semi hard it pops off of one

If one pops, either the hole is a bit too large, the white part of the clip is not shaped right (damage or defect) or the pin isn't fully pushed in. Take it off and inspect it carefully. If it looks ok, when you install it, attach that corner first and make sure it's seated flush to the board on top and fully through the hole on the bottom.

Then install the diametrically opposite corner. It'll be the most difficult one to do since that puts most of the pressure onto the whole assembly and will be the most likely cause the first one to pop. If it installs ok, you should be able to trust the first one. Then do the remaining two pins.

1) Either install with MB in the case or build a standoff with cardboard. If you try to install the HSF on a flat surface you will break the pins. I built a standoff so I can quickly check the installation on the backside of the MB. You install in a X pattern, push the two opposing pins at the same time. Once you get the knack of it, its really pretty simple.

2) You can convert a push pin HSF to bolt thru with a conversion kit.

The 775 push pin method is a bit trickier than previous socket 478 heatsinks.
As someone already posted you push 2 and 2 in in diagonal formation. You have to make sure all four clips are all the way in and the heatsink feels "solid" on the mobo.
You can burn/damage your CPU if it overheats...so if you're not 100% sure try again or ask someone with experience before you power on your PC.

Thanks for all the help guys but I think I am going to buy that conversion kit. It makes it a much safer way to do things. Just like I hate clips on my VW/honda I hate clips on PCs

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR THE LINK btw

Zomgz I'm going to pick up a couple of those conversion kits. The amount of grief saved for $5 is gonna be awesome. Just to confirm - they pretty much work with all heat sinks right?

Due to the bracket for the underside of the MB, this kind of conversion kit may be problematic with some MBs that have a heatsink on the underside - some Gigabyte MBs come to mind. This would be no different than any other bolt-on CPU HSF, though.

Well, I've installed many stock intel heatsinks on intel boards, and have yet to have one pop off... On 3rd party boards, this could very well be in issue.. As far as it being catastrophic, that is unlikely.. There was once a video on tomshardware... Lift Heatsink from AMD processor, Watch it smoke.. Intel Processor, It simply clocks itself down. Any new processor should survive a heatsink detatch gracefully.

Back