Core 2 Duo On Steroids

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel has announced new details of its forthcoming Santa Rosa PC platform, including a significant revision of the Core 2 Duo processor. According to the article, when running a single threaded application, one of the two cores can go into sleep mode. The left over power can be used by the other core to give it a “turbo boost.”

This is not overclocking. Overclocking is when you take a chip and increase its clock speed and run it out of spec. This is not out of spec. Here, it is within the spec of the dual-cores, we just identify when one core is not using the headroom and we give it to the other core. "This is called Enhanced Dynamic Acceleration Technology. We've had problems implementing it, but we've been able to do it in Santa Rosa," Eden said.

i wonder how this will affect those that are running "out of spec" already.
possible instalbility issues when running single threaded apps?

Sounds cool. But the core 2 duo's are already very fast in single core application because of the shared 4mb cache.

Sounds cool. But the core 2 duo's are already very fast in single core application because of the shared 4mb cache.

In my head that says "Its fast enough, Intel. You don't have to try harder for us anymore."

Reminds me of AMD. :p

I don't get it, I even saw the PDF is this just overclocking but they say it isn't out of spec? Basically the chip has some headroom above what the sell it so the let the 2nd core got to c3 and is mostly off and the over clock the first core? What would change exactly, the multiplyer or core clock would go up, the extra cache would be hoggable by one core right?

Finally it comes to mind of why isn't this on all the time, seeing the graph it becomes clear that this potential seems to be possible in booth and that it will not be marketed but the "turbo" setting is only applied to one core when the other is basically off, why not turbo booth cores if not restraied by power and heat?

I like how the article said "overclocking" a lot, yet it said "Its not overclocking", heh. Anyway, it looks pretty neat, and the turbo memory thing too.

can this be used as a power saving measure as well? quadcore chips dropping down to a single core would make them more palatable in laptops.

Why do I get the feeling this would not bode well for people that do overclock? I could just see my E6600 shooting up to 4.3ghz with this and going Zppt.. I mean the current core duo's have a sleep mode on the second core as it is... I have my E6600 at 3.535 max stable OC on air I could get. I just don't see how this new chip is anything to even consider. I mean 45nm will be out soon that is where we will see better performance... this seems liek a way to get some chumps ot double dip in a single product line. Kinda like the 8800GTX and what will soon be the revisions...

I think they might be a little late. By the time this comes out more programs will take advantage of multicore so this won't be as usefull at the end of this year, beginning of next as it would be if it was out already.

sounds great and all, but in all reality its just pissin me off, i keep poising for an upgrade and then just if i wait a month or 2 more something even better comes out......grrrr

sounds great and all, but in all reality its just pissin me off, i keep poising for an upgrade and then just if i wait a month or 2 more something even better comes out......grrrr

That's a nice problem to have for an enthusiast. A real problem is when the upgrades stop coming out...

Wonder if AMD is going to be a little unhappy, seeing as they [AMD] have a Santa Rosa core/codenamed processor (socket F) out... :confused:

Sounds like a fancy name for what allot of us here have been doing for years,over clocking :D But whatever.... :rolleyes:

Its not 'overclocking' because Intel is doing it.... WTF !?!?!!

Sounds like a fancy name for what allot of us here have been doing for years,over clocking :D But whatever.... :rolleyes:

Its not 'overclocking' because Intel is doing it.... WTF !?!?!!

You use the power from the second core to enhance the first?

Stop waiting because you'll always be waiting for something. Technology is always active so there will always be something a bit better just down the road.

Pick a price point or feature list and build the best to the specification.

I think they might be a little late. By the time this comes out more programs will take advantage of multicore so this won't be as usefull at the end of this year, beginning of next as it would be if it was out already.

I second this. No one designing new programs are aiming for single threaded apps.

Back