Cooling your Backside?

QualiC

n00b
I was trying to figure out what's wrong with an old MB the other day, and it occurred to me to wonder if anybody ever considered a cooling solution for the backside of MB right under the CPU?

The reasons why it'd probably be pointless are obvious, but then again, it does get prettty warm...perhaps a case mounted intake fan just under cpu (and blowing on back of MB) would offer some minor % improvement?

JC,

Q

yea its been condsidered. iirc ther are some cases which allow you to mount an 80mm fan blowing onto the reverse side of the mobo from the cpu socket. i dont remember how much good it actually did....

there used to be a whole thread on it here a while ago (before the forums went down). I think it was about 5 pages long actually. The people that tried it reportedly got a few degrees drop in temperature.

nst6563 said:
there used to be a whole thread on it here a while ago (before the forums went down). I think it was about 5 pages long actually. The people that tried it reportedly got a few degrees drop in temperature.

ya i remember that thread

for most, it seemed to do more good than anything else

In the brief few days I've been "back" here, I keep reading these references to the forums going down and lost data...can't help but be curious. I guess I'd assume it was just a board upgrade, 'cept everything looks and acts just like I remember...

So was there some major fubar? Or simply a re-vamp that couldn't integrate the old post archives? Idle minds are curious... :)

Q

I've heard of some of the next gen mobos having passive cooling beneath the cpu, and it probably would help to have a fan blowing on it, but most of the heat is generated on top and having something like that coolermaster crossflow fan would help more.

old ass thread

someone said they got 7C lower or something, everyone else tried it, didnt get anything that low. I did it just to get some more airflow and it helped in that regard.

QualiC said:
In the brief few days I've been "back" here, I keep reading these references to the forums going down and lost data...can't help but be curious. I guess I'd assume it was just a board upgrade, 'cept everything looks and acts just like I remember...

So was there some major fubar? Or simply a re-vamp that couldn't integrate the old post archives? Idle minds are curious... :)

Q

the upgrade to vbull 3

Back