Cooling the LSI 9271-8i?

spacecakes

n00b
Hi guys, i just got the lsi 9271-8i card and it runs really hot, about 97c. I know that this card is meant to sit in a rack server with very high airflow but is anyone else running this in a standard pc case? And if so, do you cool it actively and how?

hoping for answers!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Why not just get screws and attach to heatsink that's what I did with my onboard (mobo) LSI...

They will get so hot that they will stop functioning so, yes, you MUST cool it.

Why not just get screws and attach to heatsink that's what I did with my onboard (mobo) LSI...

They will get so hot that they will stop functioning so, yes, you MUST cool it.

Just my thought, but what kind of screws would i use? Like really sharp threaded ones? or would regular fan screws work and just thread itself into the heatsink?

I use an antec system blower fan installed on the slot below mine. I have the intel version of the 9260-8i but its very similar to the 9271-8i.

Keeps the card nice and cool and is much quieter than the 40mm chipset fans.

Basically an older version of this that I modified to take a 3pin fan header to make it motherboard powered rather than molex.

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Cyclone...267&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=antec+system+blower

Just my thought, but what kind of screws would i use? Like really sharp threaded ones? or would regular fan screws work and just thread itself into the heatsink?

Axial RC Car screws they're coarse thread but smaller than normal fan screws and longer. I forget model # sorry.

I use an antec system blower fan installed on the slot below mine. I have the intel version of the 9260-8i but its very similar to the 9271-8i.

Keeps the card nice and cool and is much quieter than the 40mm chipset fans.

Basically an older version of this that I modified to take a 3pin fan header to make it motherboard powered rather than molex.

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Cyclone...267&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=antec+system+blower

i've looked at similar options but my conclusion was that the fan didn't reach to the heatsink, but you say it does work?

Axial RC Car screws they're coarse thread but smaller than normal fan screws and longer. I forget model # sorry.

Allright, this method seems like the most reliable option but i would hate to break a 1000$ card :/ My server is in a fractal design r4 so there is a fan slot in the sidepanel right where the pci slots are, i'll mount a fan there blowing on the card and see what results i get before doing surgery on the cards heatsink.

i've looked at similar options but my conclusion was that the fan didn't reach to the heatsink, but you say it does work?

Is your heatsink toward the end of the card or the center?

For mine the fan sits immediately over it and does a great job, the linear feet per minute isn't much actually if you look at the spec, its probably close to 200-300 LFM of airflow to cool it down.

Allright, this method seems like the most reliable option but i would hate to break a 1000$ card :/ My server is in a fractal design r4 so there is a fan slot in the sidepanel right where the pci slots are, i'll mount a fan there blowing on the card and see what results i get before doing surgery on the cards heatsink.

Part # can be found here:

Axial LSI Fan Screw Part@#

Those cards are $500 new or $400 on ebay I hope you're joking about spending $1k on it or maybe you meant two :D

The thread also mentions the sythe fan, but I used a nOCTUA on mine because I had them... they're obv. more $$$ but any should work as long as it's not a "super wide" fan... which are common in 1U.

Is your heatsink toward the end of the card or the center?

For mine the fan sits immediately over it and does a great job, the linear feet per minute isn't much actually if you look at the spec, its probably close to 200-300 LFM of airflow to cool it down.

It's towards the end of the card,
LSI_9271-8i.jpg

Part # can be found here:

Axial LSI Fan Screw Part@#

Those cards are $500 new or $400 on ebay I hope you're joking about spending $1k on it or maybe you meant two :D

The thread also mentions the sythe fan, but I used a nOCTUA on mine because I had them... they're obv. more $$$ but any should work as long as it's not a "super wide" fan... which are common in 1U.

I did not buy it of ebay, i spent a little more because i wanted easy warranty, and that 1000$ also includes the cachevault kit.

I'd make sure the fan fits properly mine is on board and that HS looks narrower.

Got the temperature down 22c (97-75) by installing a fan in the sidepanel, temporary fix until i have time to do something more serious. Was thinking of taking an old pci card and just drill two 80mm holes in the pcb and mount 2x80mm fans on it, would look something like this

slot-rafter300ho.jpg

Double sided tape? Attached on the top of the card not the heatsink i suppose?

I always use heavy duty 3M doublesided tape.
no screws and just stick...

HV doublesided tape is kind of flexible but will retain the sticky-ness.
this help for reduce fan vibration too...

someone on DIY forum point to 3M heavy duty doublesided tape in 2007 and still always using on "cars", "house", and many :D...

703JG7t.png

Double sided tape? Attached on the top of the card not the heatsink i suppose?

i attached it directly to the heatsink. here is a pic of it attached to heat sink on my supermicro MB with integrated LSI controller.

e15lkj.jpg

15ppttf.jpg

Tape scares me... not from damage... but from the fan falling off and the HBA or RAID card locking up and corrupting data or who knows what.. I'd use screws ;)

Tape scares me... not from damage... but from the fan falling off and the HBA or RAID card locking up and corrupting data or who knows what.. I'd use screws ;)

3M heav duty tape is not failing since 2007 :p

and never dried..
the problme on non heavy duty tape, is dried tape cause peel-off

if you know sticky thermal pad. heavy duty mostly like that, without transferring thermal

on bonus, since heavy duty tape is never harden, this damp unbalanced fans that happens on long running 24/7..

screw is for novice, heavy duty is for expert hjahaha...

3M heav duty tape is not failing since 2007 :p

and never dried..
the problme on non heavy duty tape, is dried tape cause peel-off

if you know sticky thermal pad. heavy duty mostly like that, without transferring thermal

on bonus, since heavy duty tape is never harden, this damp unbalanced fans that happens on long running 24/7..

screw is for novice, heavy duty is for expert hjahaha...

I felt the same way when I used 3M 5200 to hold my bilge pump in my stand-up jetski that obviously beat-against waves, incurs 5'+ smacks against the water... but hey, it lasted years until I sold it... talk about some impressive adhesive that was still slightly 'spungy' after it set up.

The double-sided 3M tape (I have the same kind here I use for holding other things) works great, but for a fan that vibrates it just seems tooo... well... "WHAT IF!!" :D :D

So it's an old thread but I want to capture my experience to help others. My system was running a Dell P410 RAID card and I was happy until it failed, getting the thing to rebuild was the issue outside of a Dell Server. I couldn't fully access the BIOS of the card when PC booted. After trying a few different firmwares I got it half working, I had to enable secure boot for legacy to even get ROM of P410 loading and then need to remove card again and disable the legacy boot to get back to EUFI boot and into Windows. The HP manager software in Windows itself offers no REBUILD option, just says it's qued! To force a rebuild I had to (in DOS ONLY of P410 BIOS) remove and then build the array identically. SO, outside of a server (Dell, HP) stay away from P410.
So now we come to the LSI 9260-8i, which I bought along with an Adaptec 6805t. The Adaptec I needed to reinstall the driver every time I restarted Windows - NOT fun!
As with the chat above, I found heat an issue, so:
1. Using a temperature gun the card was doing 68C at IDLE
2. I installed more system fans and removed the backplate under the RAID card - I do have an RTX3060 above it. No change
3. Removed heatsink and apply new thermal paste, dropped 5C
4. Bought a 40mm Noctua fan (as mentioned above), I screwed this to the heatsink directly - it's at 45 degrees angle so I could get 2x screws through fan and biting into heatsink fins (nice and tight). Temps are now under 40C

So it's an old thread but I want to capture my experience to help others. My system was running a Dell P410 RAID card and I was happy until it failed, getting the thing to rebuild was the issue outside of a Dell Server. I couldn't fully access the BIOS of the card when PC booted. After trying a few different firmwares I got it half working, I had to enable secure boot for legacy to even get ROM of P410 loading and then need to remove card again and disable the legacy boot to get back to EUFI boot and into Windows. The HP manager software in Windows itself offers no REBUILD option, just says it's qued! To force a rebuild I had to (in DOS ONLY of P410 BIOS) remove and then build the array identically. SO, outside of a server (Dell, HP) stay away from P410.
So now we come to the LSI 9260-8i, which I bought along with an Adaptec 6805t. The Adaptec I needed to reinstall the driver every time I restarted Windows - NOT fun!
As with the chat above, I found heat an issue, so:
1. Using a temperature gun the card was doing 68C at IDLE
2. I installed more system fans and removed the backplate under the RAID card - I do have an RTX3060 above it. No change
3. Removed heatsink and apply new thermal paste, dropped 5C
4. Bought a 40mm Noctua fan (as mentioned above), I screwed this to the heatsink directly - it's at 45 degrees angle so I could get 2x screws through fan and biting into heatsink fins (nice and tight). Temps are now under 40C

I use those little noctua fans in poe switches too, they're great.

These cards are made to run in servers with massive airflow, and ear busting fans.

It doesn't mean that they need much cooling, just that the passive heatsink, in a regular desktop computer, doesn't do it. Any fan blowing some air on them will be enough.

Back