Cooling in SLI

Patonb

Gawd
Thinking of new fermi cards, but looking at them, how do you get fresh cool air to them with the intake fan in the middle of the shrouding?

My 260s intake at the ends and the top card runs 10C warmer than the bottom card.

I can figure out how a mid fan card stays cool.

Not all fermi card have the fans in the middle also case cooling and ambients play a big part.

Hmm My top 480 card is about 1 to 2 C cooler. I have a Phantom Case with the side fan blows more cold are to the top one. I have an Asus Formula 3 board that has a big space in between. I added one those PCI side small fans there. My iddles are about 42c to 44 and after long gaming sessions of 4 hours the most I see them reach is about 72c. Hope that can help you in a way.

Going from my 680i to my ud3r the cards are now sandwiched together. The 680i had the gap between slots

My cards fold so, its 24/7 with the top card 74 tops and btm cards 64. But I do idle in the mid 40s.

Even with great case air flow, I just can't see how fresh air can get to the intake of the mid fan cards... which is about 87% of the cards sold.

Last edited:
Yha i'm looking at the right cards....... Theres 29 of the 90 4 series cards that are rear inducted... And alot of them are 465s... And oh my most of the the 5 cards are rear... obviously theres an issue

But how does any of this relate to how to cool the mid fan models..... Which is my question.

I got the Galaxy GTX 460's super oc cards. A tiny sli cable was supplied and I had the one card stacked right on top of the other in a HAF 932 case wit a 230mm fan on them. Ambient temps around 74*f.

Under duress, the top card hit 99*c while the lower peaked at 69*c. I went and got a longer sli cable, spaced them apart and the highest I have seen either has been 71*c.
I agree the mid fan setup for sli in close proximity to each other is questionable.
If I trade these out for cards that will do tri sli, I will probably have to watercool or get cards that are not mid fan mounted.

It relates to it because you don't need to purchase a card with the fan in the middle. You're making it out to be like it's the only option. Just purchase a reference design card and don't worry about it. If cooling was also an issue with them I doubt they'd put them into production. Beside GPU's are safe at under 100c.

My mobo isn't capable of having a space between my two GTX570's, so they are stacked one on top of the other until I eventually get a different mobo.

I have an antec1200, and the middle front fan sucks in air to a 2nd fan that pushes air directly onto the cards. With all fan settings on low, the 570's on auto, I get idle temps of up to 20c more on the top card. Gaming however, the temps are much closer together. I'm changing the TIM on both cards to ICdiamond in a day or 2 to see what happens.

I have GTX580s.. space them a slot apart. It's not a big deal. Under load my cards are within 3-4C of each other.

Back