Coolbits OC auto-detection: Should it vary?

Hurin

2[H]4U
Howdy all,

I'd never overclocked an NVIDIA card before. I ran coolbits and then had it auto-detect optimal frequences.

The first time: 410 / 1.10
Second time: 432 / 1.16
Third Time: 426 / 1.14

Is it supposed to vary so much between auto-detections?

Or, in other words, is that normal?

Thanks,

H

It can vary yes. Coolbits usually comes pretty close to a good max stable overclock, but temperature and even just a reboot can change how it decides on whats stable or not.

My recomendation is to run auto detection a few times, and then game for a while, if no problems, try bumping it up 5 MHz at a time on core, 10 MHz at a time on memory and see how it goes from there.

Mine auto detects around 422/1100 and I usually set the core manually to 420 and memory goes up to 1130 for dailly playing.

Hurin said:
Howdy all,

I'd never overclocked an NVIDIA card before. I ran coolbits and then had it auto-detect optimal frequences.

Thanks,

H

That's really all over the place. I usually autodetect at least 2x and it usually spits out something identical or very close. The most difference I had was 416/1090 to 420/1100 on the same card. My current card does 423/1100 every time.

Your variations are extreme in my experience.

Hurin said:
Howdy all,

Thanks,

H

It can vary a lot, yes.

First time: 432/1.12
Second time: 428/1.11
Third time: 428/1.11

edit, decided to reboot and check it again. Was 428/1.11.

Auto-detect can produce the exact same result three times or three different results. So it's not abnormal to see literally any variety of results from auto-detect. Sometimes it even consistantly gives you a result WAY below what you could reach.

I had the same results. I have noticed that the autodetect function varies from driver to driver, though. One driver (the one I'm using - 56.64) gives me a much higher OC than others.

Maybe you should experiment a bit.

Back