Cool, its back.. but why so long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
good to see it back up, i'll probably start posting a lot more now that it's fairly quick.

ozziegn said:
well that was one of your problems right there.
one of the above mentioned is a Mac guru. so you had him (or her) working on a Windows app? its a wonder the whole pile didnt cave in. :D

J/K to the Mac person I'm referring to. :p

LOL, ozzie! :D

I guess I have to raise my hand as the resident Mac-using admin here since Milty is gone, although I'm far from guru status.

But I worked mostly on the cosmetics. That and board settings and bugging Kyle about what I thought we should do. ;)

vB3 is not a "Windows" app, we're running on Linux here. And what OS one uses, like what browser one uses, doesn't make a big difference. My Mac ftp proggy uploads to *nix, NT, Solaris or whatever OS a server is running just fine.

..and here i was thinking that Kyle was being a genious faking the upgrade wasn't working so that he could save on a months bandwidth costs. :)

Hal|9k said:
...all I can say is "Thanks for the long hours, fellas, and bring back POSTCOUNT!!" I know it's silly, but I like to see it increment over time... :p

I like my post count :p

Maybe someday my sig will change to "Murder-Weapon [H]ard" like the Ratpadz review from The Tech Report...

\me looks at Kyle, blinks :D

-SEAL

petesmc said:
..and here i was thinking that Kyle was being a genious faking the upgrade wasn't working so that he could save on a months bandwidth costs. :)
Hell I should apologize to Kyle for all the bad things I was thinking about him. ;)

I just figured he was tired of screwing with the forums, and figured if he left them turned off long enough people would just forget about them. :p

And here he was flat on his back in hospital bed. :(

I really, really, really hate it when people exceed your low expectations / opinions of them.

Well, I'm happy to see it back, for sure. I was going thru withdrawl, I needed some Networking advice and couldn't get a decent answer from "some other forum"

Oh, thank the Lord, the [H]ard|Forum is back!

And Kyle, I hope your back's okay. Do you and Steve compare notes on this stuff? That's an awful bit of synchronicity for the both of you to have suffered some type of spinal injury.

Wanamingo said:
Oh, thank the Lord, the [H]ard|Forum is back!

And Kyle, I hope your back's okay. Do you and Steve compare notes on this stuff? That's an awful bit of synchronicity for the both of you to have suffered some type of spinal injury.

Yeah, I am feeling a lot better these last two weeks. And yes, Steve and I do compare a lot of notes, but I think Steve is in a much worse place than I am.

KaosDG said:
Well, I'm happy to see it back, for sure. I was going thru withdrawl, I needed some Networking advice and couldn't get a decent answer from "some other forum"

Ditto, i've been [L]imp for weeks now, love the search!

ozziegn said:
why's that?

is it because he lives in the frozen tundra or because of his back injury a few years ago?

His injury is much worse than mine is... :(

Actually, the break was good. Makes you appreciate what you have and the loss when it is gone. I was actually able to get some work done and get a lot of outside work at whereisphantom.com accomplished.

When it rains, it pours doesn't it? Between lawsuits, hardware outages, hardware reviews, articles, news and business... yikes. Then you have to make time for family. Kyle, you've had a rough May. Kudos to the forum team for picking up the slack and to drugs for making everything feel groovy.

yikes. kyle, i hope you realize all the whiners (esp me :rolleyes: ) were just suffering from withdrawl. don't hold it against us ;)

and:

1) glad forums are back

2) hope you are feeling better

IcW@TeR said:
the fact that he was attacted by beer makes it even worse :(

We should all vow to avenge his injuries and drink as much beer as possible.

I know how the back thing goes. I grew up w/ my dad having back probs and then I hurt my back. Hope it gets as well as it can and stays there.

Kyle, get the surgery. My wife had the same thing, and the surgery fixed it up just perfect.

Congrats on getting the new forums going. When I saw you guys upgrading to VB3 I knew it would be a while because of your database size. I've managed a few vb forums a few years now so I know what you guys went through. That re-index search is a biatch. Heavily resource intensive as well.
For those who aren't familiar with VB installs. The conversion from VB2 to VB3 is not really an upgrade, but a completely new install. You keep your database, but the forum itself is totally new. There's lots of new features in VB3 and it takes a lot of tweaking to get things to someones preference. Plus the admin CP is completely different. It takes a while to go over everything and familiarize yourself with the new look and options.
The [H] forums were sorely missed. It looks great and congrats.

Mister Natural said:
Congrats on getting the new forums going. When I saw you guys upgrading to VB3 I knew it would be a while because of your database size. I've managed a few vb forums a few years now so I know what you guys went through. That re-index search is a biatch. Heavily resource intensive as well.
For those who aren't familiar with VB installs. The conversion from VB2 to VB3 is not really an upgrade, but a completely new install. You keep your database, but the forum itself is totally new. There's lots of new features in VB3 and it takes a lot of tweaking to get things to someones preference. Plus the admin CP is completely different. It takes a while to go over everything and familiarize yourself with the new look and options.
The [H] forums were sorely missed. It looks great and congrats.

I didn't find the adminCP side to be that hard to get used to.
I Somehow knew it'd take quite a while for the reindexing of the search index. but if you notice, there is not table in the database for 'searchindex'. Guess they decided that postindex would be a better name.

Heh, you know your addicted to the forums when you start hammering F5 when you see the "sorry the [H[ardforum is down for maintenance" message :p

Well, it's great to be back...the new layout takes some getting used to though....it's like getting a new hat..it feels odd at first, but later on it grows to you i guess :rolleyes:

Kyle can I say hi to all the long time posters still visiting here? last time I tried it got locked.

Well hi to everyone especially the old timers, I'm sorry I don't visit frequently enough to know all of you better. I'm glad 4 years later this forum is still here helping those who look around. I'm saddened sometimes that this forum is not what it once was but I understand things change and the [H] is more like a review site rather than an overclocking site but I guess that river is running dry now, I even hear that cpu's won't even be rated on speed soon. I won't even go into the whole graphics card mess. How old is the [H] forum ? thanks for keeping it around Kyle and I hope you get better :)

oh yeah you need to add some more of that old humor that was once prevalent on the [H], dare I say it seems your going soft. :p

Hehe, not soft, just different.

I have to admit that I missed it as well. I am glad to see it back and I am glad we have a lot of our oldtimers still here. :)

This thread has run its course. Say goodnight Gracie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back