Constant Stuttering in Games/Video

simon741

Gawd
Recently formatted hard drive and installed Windows 7 with the driver CD HP provided with my laptop. Anytime I play a game, it runs smoothly for about 3 seconds and then stutters for 1-2. My FPS is fine for all of these games, but the stuttering is constant. I have tried reinstalling the drivers with identical ones, newer versions, older versions, third party drivers and disabling driver verification on Windows startup and I am still receiving this stuttering problem. This never happened before the reformat. I have run out of solutions to try. I dont know what else it could be. My computer is an HP laptop with a 2670QM i7, 6GB RAM, and an AMD HD 6770M gpu. Thanks in advance.

try disabling some things in device manager (like the network adapter) It shouldn't happen in this day and age, but maybe there is a hardware conflict. if that is the case, maybe a new driver for the conflicting thing will help.

Might be some problem with it streaming data off the hard drive. Have you checked it lately?

No as the stuttering occurs as soon as a game is booted up. The lap top has no time to heat up to a temperature that would case the problems. I feel like the hard drive is the problem but after mutliple defrags I still have the problem,

Update. Defragged with Ultimate Defrag and am still getting the problem. Also noticed that the stuttering/hang ups occur in other applications like Microsoft Word. Really starting to think this is an HDD problem. Downloaded Fur Mark and it ran completely fine without any hiccups. Thinking since its only like 4mb the HD isnt fucking it up causing stuttering. Dont really know what else I could do other than a reformat.

if you replaced the HD then likely its the issue.
run some benchmark program for HD to check if it works as it should.

definitely sounds like a hard drive problem. u may want to try low level formatting(write 0s to every sector) the drive and reinstalling windows. i had a very similar problem once and that fixed it for me. the hard drive passed all the manufacturer diagnostics, so it was basically my only option.

SATA drive? It's running in the right mode, yes, not PIO or something? I'm not sure that's still possible in Win 7, but it used to be a problem sometimes in XP.

definitely sounds like a hard drive problem. u may want to try low level formatting(write 0s to every sector) the drive and reinstalling windows. i had a very similar problem once and that fixed it for me. the hard drive passed all the manufacturer diagnostics, so it was basically my only option.

Thanks man. Ill try it when I get a chance. Not really convenient with all my term papers due soon but within the next few days I should have time to give it a shot. Ill keep you guys updated.

Back