Consoles on Dell 24" and 27". Q's about inputs, 1080P and aspect ratio.

DG25

Gawd
I am interested in buying a Dell 2407wfp or, if i get more money, a Dell 2707WFP. Besides playing games on my PC over the DVI, i want to use a Playstation 2, a Wii and a xbox 360, for playing games. But before i buy the LCD, i want to ask you some questions:

For both the 2407WFP and 2707WFP:

1. over COMPONENT: As i understand there is no 1080P over component input, i plan to use only the Wii and PS 2 on this one. Any problems i should know about this setup? Does it work with aspect ratio on from the osd, so i can get 4:3 on PS 2 or 16:9 on the Wii, with black bars?

2. over VGA: I plan to use Xbox 360 on this one. Does the VGA input accept 1080P signal with correct aspect ratio (16:9), with black bars on top and bottom? Any issues i should know?

3. Over DVI: Pc use, maybe a PS3 in the future. I guess it supports 1080P, so no problems here, right?

ps: i've asked a few times in the dedicated 24" Dell thread, but it seems i'm invisible or smthg, as no one replied me. :(

IIRC if you want component you'll need the 2407WFP-HC thought I may be wrong.

1. The 2407WFP-HC accepts up to 1080i over component, whereas the vanilla 2407WFP (even A04) only accepts up to 720P over component.

2. Yes both support 1:1 pixel mapping over VGA, but there won't be black bars on the sides with 1080P (16:10 vs 16:9, only black bars on top).

3. Yes they both support 1080P over DVI.

Thank you.

Btw, how is the input lag on these Dell lcds? I've had in past a Samsung 215TW that had terrible input lag, so i had to sell it.

moofasa STOP spreading wrong information

the A04 absolutely does 1080i over component. I HAVE it

I thought the regular and HC version were nearly the same price.. if that's the case, why not get the HC? :)

I looked on Dell's site to check, odd, the 24" HC is the only one that come up for me.

moofasa STOP spreading wrong information

the A04 absolutely does 1080i over component. I HAVE it

The A04 (or any other vanilla version) doesn't officially support 1080i over component (if you have a problem, Dell won't help you). And from reading the Dell forums, it seems some users do indeed have problems in certain setups (but I'm glad it works in your situation).

The 2407WFP-HC officially supports 1080i over component (if you have a problem, Dell will help you).

I have a 2707 (stunning monitor btw!)

I use the PS3 via DVI and the PC via VGA both can take 1080p. And you get a choice of aspect stretch (so if its 720p the dell stretches it to make use of more of the screen), 1:1 where you get the exact pixel size, so for 720p it would show a smaller picture. And fill, which fills the screen completley, but then it is stretched more vertically so it's outta proportion.

You should be able to use the comp for 720p 360.

Get the 2707 - it's ace! :D

I have a 2707 (stunning monitor btw!)

I use the PS3 via DVI and the PC via VGA both can take 1080p.
You should be able to use the comp for 720p 360.

Get the 2707 - it's ace! :D

Brook

As far as text goes...is the 2707 better via VGA or DVI??

The A04 2407 accepts 1080 over component it is just smaller than it should be on 1:1

on aspect it is correct aspect and fills screen horizontally.

now it looks good enough.. but the only thing is that it raises questions about whether its a true 1080i signal there (on aspect) or if its something slightly smaller (like seen on 1:1) that is simply getting scaled up when on aspect.

either way, you can get something the same as or very near to 1080i on the A04 2407.

VGA - at least some video cards NO, (but why wouldnt you be doing the full 1920x1200 with a PC?) xbox 360 - YES but only sometimes (flaky - other times locked to full mode (stretched up) and must be all redone)

DVI - PC - more or less yes with a correct display, other 1080p sources... appears to be "no" but will find out (would be stretched i think)

Back