considering powerline...

Jason711

Supreme [H]ardness
what do you guys think of this? planning on sharing a net connection and dont quite have the money for a wireless router and adapter. would this be ok?

Meh...... Would be OK, but you're only gonna get 14mbps throughout, compared to 54 or 108 mbps available on todays wireless routers. Within the next few weeks we should see some 54mbps powerline products hitting the streets.

Scroatdog said:
Meh...... Would be OK, but you're only gonna get 14mbps throughout, compared to 54 or 108 mbps available on todays wireless routers. Within the next few weeks we should see some 54mbps powerline products hitting the streets.
For sharing an internet connection that should be sufficient.

Scroatdog said:

i suppose if i needed to do some heavy transfering i would just use a cat5. its not terribly far away.

I still run b wifi (11mbps) and it works great for internet sharing. It is a bit slow for major PC to PC transfers, but if need be I just go and plug into a cat5 hookup to do large transfers.

For internet sharing and occasional transfers, 14mbps is perfect

Let us know how it works. I have wireless myself but the client is so far away the signal strength is very low.

Scroatdog said:

On my 54-G network under ad-hoc, I wasnt able to get any more than 20Mbps at about a meter away. With 54G access point, I pull close to 14Mbps on a large file transfer. Either my network totally blows, or wifi has massive overhead (the latter is what I think).

Id go with the powerline, or possibly the eitherhet over CATV if you were in some building made out of cement or brick.

ill let you guys know.. . if im lucky it will get here friday.. .latest monday... me thinks.

Good, id like to hear how those things work from an actual person. do all sorts of crazy tests and push its specs to the limit :).

Yeah, nothing like giving a new product a [H]ard time. :cool:

Try and do a hefty file swap and watch your taskmanager/network meter and see if it stays pretty consistant.

only things i can think of are a large file swap, transfering multiple smallish files (mp3s). and ping..

yeah, ill keep an eye on the meter.. :)

Jason711 said:
ill let you guys know.. . if im lucky it will get here friday.. .latest monday... me thinks.

What happened to the whole "letting us know"? I'm still interested with the results.

Back