Considering going back to school, need some opinions

Virai

n00b
Hello,

I'll give you some back story before I go into what I want to do and why.

I'm currently 24, turning 25 this month. When I got out of high school, I didn't know what I wanted to do, so I went and worked some construction jobs and saved up for when I did know. Three years after graduating high school, I decided to go to a "Technical Institution" here in Canada and took a 2-year Networking Diploma course. I've since finished this course, and been out of school for a little over 2 years now.

My first job coming out of school was with a company developing SCADA systems. I had a role as a Systems Technologist dealing with everything from ordering the hardware to setting it up and installing all the software (both proprietary and not). This was a great job because I got to touch a very broad range of technologies and there was no "live" system when I was working on it which made it a lot easier to learn. I decided to leave the company because of a few major reasons which I won't get into here (salary, boss quit, no career path). I've taken up an offer with a consulting company working with a couple clients in the Oil and Gas industry doing Systems work (basically whatever they need done). The money is better, career path is better, but there is still something missing, and that's why I'm posting here...

Over the past year (and a bit), I've had some experiences where I've seen people with more education doing less work for more money than myself, and it's a bit discouraging at times. It makes me want to go back to school and get a degree, and do something that I'm proud of, something I'll look back on and not regret, something that I can strive for and work towards. I love learning, and lately I've been strongly considering going back to school for a degree, but I really can't figure out what to go for.

I've been thinking Computer Science for the last couple months, but I've never been into programming much(mind you I've never given it a chance). I thought about Electrical/Computer Engineering, but it is extremely competitive at my University and I there's too many "what if's" on the table if I don't actually get into it. I also thought about Management Information Systems (A B. Comm. degree) which is a mixture of Technical and Business degrees. I've got a very strong passion for the technical side, but I'm not sure if I want to be in the technical side for the rest of my career. I'm definitely happy with the technical positions for the next 10-15 years, but maybe I'll want something more/different after that... and that's where the questions start to fly.

What educational background do some of you technical (or used to be technical) people have? What is your job right now? Do you enjoy it, or wish you did something different? How drastically have things changed from 10 years ago with your career? Would you recommend Computer Science to someone who still wants to do things other than program? In 10-15 years is it really going to matter what degree I have, or just that I have one? Is a degree even worth it, in your opinion?

Well I'll stop rambling now. I truly do appreciate anyone who takes time to respond and give me some help and insight. Thank you!

Jerry.

Bump for a good question.

I, myself, am most interested at the moment with computer networking, though I will be going to school for computer science. As I've always understood it, it allows you to more fully appreciate how computers work, communicate, and interpret the software you put into them. Also, I've been led to believe that it is a strong base for anyone who wants to go into the Security aspect of networking (reading ethical hacking books and such).

I see computer science as a good "all around" degree for those who want to work on the technical side (without going into hardware design) of computers and their networks. Who knows, maybe you'll really get a kick out of learning how to program.

If you like using logic to solve problems and feeling more "in control" of software, then I'd strongly suggest going with computer science.

Then again, this is only my outlook on it and it's better if any graduates could chime in.

And on another note, I've been feeling a bit unmotivated lately with going through my gen. ed. classes (chemistry, humanities, and other unrelated tuition-sucking timesinks) and your post with its reasoning for getting the degree is actually a bit motivating :)

I'm not in the technology field, but I've got a degree. I do quite well because of the education I received in college and frequently try to explain to my 15yr. old son the importance of a college education. What it comes down to is this: You can graduate from high school and do quite well in one of the typical fields, but eventually you aren't going to be able to continue or you're going to reach the end of the road so to speak, which is what it sounds like you did in both construction and with your tech education. College pays for itself later in life, so if you can't see yourself framing houses or building computers for technologically illiterate secretaries at the age of 50 you HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL.

That doesn't necessarily mean you have to give up what appears to be a promising job with potential. Will any of your tech school classes transfer? This isn't always the case, but it's worth looking into. Also, does your employer offer any type of continuing education program you can participate in. Lastly, you can always try to take a couple night school or online classes to get the basics out of the way, it's often possible to do this and get the first year or two of school out of the way before moving on to a better college or university for the final two years needed to complete your major.

I'm in the same boat as OP. I'm starting to figure out on my own that serving tables is not what I want to do for the rest of my life. I enjoy doing it and interacting with customers, but I definitely think it's time to move on as well. Sorry if I can't offer any helpful insight, but as of now I'm looking into Computer Science because I freakin LOVE technology or international business and marketing. Good luck to you.

Back