Conroe system build

Flak Pyro

Gawd
About to start ordering parts for my new conroe system, before i do i thought i post and see what you guys think :)

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
Intel 975x Bad Axe rev 304
OCZ Gold EL PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-10
Evga Geforce 7900GT KO
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2
Enermax Liberty 500W PSU (ATX 2.2)

So whatca think? Im going for speed and stability and plan to use this system for mostly gaming and typical power user type things.

Is there any disadvantage to getting DDR2 800 if i dont plan to OC? I thought it couldnt hurt to plan for the future and i can get that OCZ memory at a great price, cheaper then some DDR667 bundles.

I would hold off on the motherboard purchase and wait and see what the NVIDIA 590SLI intel version has to offer us. Im not saying the intel board is a bad choice, but dont rush into this purchase only to say to yourself, "damn I should have waiting 2 more weeks and I could of had that board" 1 more thing to note, I would use your current GFX card (if you have one, being PCIE of course) and wait to see what DX10 cards have to offer........ Just words for thought bro.

I currently have AGP right now, i could grab a much cheaper 7600GT and wait for DX10 though.

go for the E6600 instead of the E6700. They're oc'ing about the same. Then you can like 150 $ and put that into a dx 10 video card

I am jonesing for a new computer as much as anyone but I think waiting for a bigger motherboard selection is the smartest move.

zeekle said:
I am jonesing for a new computer as much as anyone but I think waiting for a bigger motherboard selection is the smartest move.
exactly!!

newls1 said:
exactly!!

Agreed, moreso just becase he should wait to see what type of slight performance increseas P965 serves up.

I'm not convinced about nVidia's 590 chipset, as nVidia's recent offerings have been somewhat questionable in my opinion. What would be also really wise to wait for otherwise, is RD600/SB600, which is shaping up very nicely. The first RD600-based boards are supposed to be released aro und Conroe's launch.

Edit- agreed on the videocard too. Get something that is affordable but still performs decently for gaming, then embrace DX10 cards ;D (second generation, ofc) :p.

Alright, i have been looking at previews of 965 mobo, reviews were posted over at XS in the last comming weeks and in alot of cases they are actually slower then 975x, plus i would like to have the extra PCI-E slots, so im pretty much sold on a 975x board. I have been debating over this board or the Asus P5W DH.
Here is a nice list of conroe boards: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=101408

I currently have a Asus board now and a Intel board in a second system both have been really solid, however the Asus P5W DH has alot of features im simply not interested in, WIFI, Remote, etc. (Perhaps the P5WD2-E Premium rev 1.3 might be more of what i need)
I have been looking at many board previews and so far the Bad Axe seems really nice. Does anyone have anything against it that i should be aware of? Intel has always had a reputation for providing stable boards i thought.

Now i havnt seen any ATI chipset reviews i will start looking around for those.

I am going to take you advice and grab a Evga 7600GT and use that until the wave of DX10 cards hit, the 7600GT is still alot better then my current 6800 AGP :)

On another note:

I have been looking around for cases, i found this case and i really like the look of it. (Note Canadain dollars)

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=18893&vpn=SOLO&manufacture=ANTEC

Thanks for the feedback everyone :)

Flak Pyro said:
Alright, i have been looking at previews of 965 mobo, reviews were posted over at XS in the last comming weeks and in alot of cases they are actually slower then 975x, plus i would like to have the extra PCI-E slots, so im pretty much sold on a 975x board. I have been debating over this board or the Asus P5W DH.
Here is a nice list of conroe boards: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=101408

I currently have a Asus board now and a Intel board in a second system both have been really solid, however the Asus P5W DH has alot of features im simply not interested in, WIFI, Remote, etc. (Perhaps the P5WD2-E Premium rev 1.3 might be more of what i need)
I have been looking at many board previews and so far the Bad Axe seems really nice. Does anyone have anything against it that i should be aware of? Intel has always had a reputation for providing stable boards i thought.

Now i havnt seen any ATI chipset reviews i will start looking around for those.

I am going to take you advice and grab a Evga 7600GT and use that until the wave of DX10 cards hit, the 7600GT is still alot better then my current 6800 AGP :)

On another note:

I have been looking around for cases, i found this case and i really like the look of it. (Note Canadain dollars)

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=18893&vpn=SOLO&manufacture=ANTEC

Thanks for the feedback everyone :)

Well, I've seen the XS people complaining mostly that the P965 boards haven't had a highly-overclockable bus. In terms of performance, I hadn't seen a direct comparison in terms of standardized benchmarks. They're probably on XS somewhere, and I hadn't seen the thread.

The problem is, there's only a couple P965 boards out. And if you're looking to overclock, I probably wouldn't recommend it.

I'm more interesetd in RD600 anyway :D.

And that case is nice. I had looked at it several months ago, before deciding on a different type of case.

Yeah i really like the look of this case. The mobo is really the only thing still up in the air and will probably be the last thing i order along with conroe itself. The rest i can start collecting as sales and such come around. The Bad Axe is the oldest conroe board but its stable and reliable, and i am able to get a Rev 304 board, the two Asus offerings are interesting and ill probably wait a few weeks to see how they turn out. I would like to go with 975x to keep my options open with crossfire while 965 only has one PCI-E port

the 965 boards are supposed to have much better memory controllers than tha 975s
what the rush anyways?
im not saying wait 2 months, that would be unbearable, but at least a week or two.

no rush, probably not going to order any of this till conroe is actually out to buy, just researching my options. Benchmarks ive seen dont show the 965 being much better then 975, in alot of cases its actually slower. I have been considering the Asus P5B however.

Abit 965 Board preview:
http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2789&p=7

boomheadshot45 said:
go for the E6600 instead of the E6700. They're oc'ing about the same. Then you can like 150 $ and put that into a dx 10 video card
http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=articles&go=read&arc_id=86

If you want something that will hold you for a while and quite a overclockable card , good as 6600 running in sli then get the 7300GT

this card deserves enough respect and it didnt even get hardly any reviews , it only came out a couple of weeks ago and many of you dont even know it exists.

Back