Concerned about damaged (?) LAN port - packet loss

Ericone

n00b
Hi!

I recently needed to pull the lan plug out of the Ethernet jack on my motherboard. The plug was stuck rather hard in the socket, so I had to use some moderate force to pull it out, while rocking it from side to side a bit. At last it got out (it FLEW out!). Now I'm concerned I might have damaged the LAN port on the motherboard.

I have not noticed anything during gaming, but when I ping more than one target in Pingplotter with 1 sec or 2,5 sec intervals, I get packet loss from my router and the hop after it. Is this normal?

Also, I have tried pinging Blizzard servers. This is the result:

Ping statistics for 185.60.112.157
Packets: sent = 2686, Received = 2685, Lost = 1 (0% loss)
Minimum = 45 ms, Maximum = 79 ms, Average = 47 ms.

Is this loss of 1 packet someting that will impact gaming? So far I have not been noticing much, but if I load up youtube videos I start losing a few more packets, maybe 3 or 4 more.

Is this normal? May I have damaged my LAN port?
How would a pci express Network card (Nic) work with gaming? Could it be as good as the built in Lan port on my motherboard?

I have looked into a few Pci Express solutions, namely this: Intel EXPI9301CTBLK PCI-Express Network Adapter-Newegg.com

It is from 2008 though, so I'm concerned it might not handle things as well the in built LAN controller on my motherboard, which is much newer.

Lots of question all at once, thanks for your patience guys :)

Last edited:
I'd say your onboard is probably fine. Maybe keep a running ping going for a few days and keep an eye on it. One packet is nothing. As far as PCI-E cards go, the Intel CT adapter is a good card. It should not give anything up compared to your onboard adapter, aside from maybe a little efficiency (in terms of power consumption). Don't allow yourself to get taken for $30+ buying one on newegg though, you can get those for like $10 on eBay. You could even get an Intel dual-port PT server adapter on eBay for less than that desktop CT adapter costs on newegg. Windows 10, assuming that is what you are running, handles dual LAN connections very well and will even automatically load balance (as well as give you fault tolerance) if you have them both connected.

I'd say your onboard is probably fine. Maybe keep a running ping going for a few days and keep an eye on it. One packet is nothing. As far as PCI-E cards go, the Intel CT adapter is a good card. It should not give anything up compared to your onboard adapter, aside from maybe a little efficiency (in terms of power consumption). Don't allow yourself to get taken for $30+ buying one on newegg though, you can get those for like $10 on eBay. You could even get an Intel dual-port PT server adapter on eBay for less than that desktop CT adapter costs on newegg. Windows 10, assuming that is what you are running, handles dual LAN connections very well and will even automatically load balance (as well as give you fault tolerance) if you have them both connected.

Thanks for the reply!
In general, are pci express cards as snappy and fast as onboard lan controllers? I was thinking maybe a pci connection might introduce some kind of slight latency since it is not on the motherboard itself.

Thanks! Can a 2008;intel nic give me a great performance compared to a 2016 onboard lan controller? Just want great gaming performance!

For home broadband use a 1999 lan controller is sufficient for gaming.

Nice! So not much progress have been made since 2008 ?? Just want to find a replacement for my 2015 controller

Firstly, you say you're noticing packet loss between your router and the first hop to your ISP, correct? Or do you mean it's between your computer and the router?
That would definitely not be an issue with the Ethernet port on your computer if it's between the router and ISP first hop.

Secondly, 1 lost packet out of 2600 is nothing. Packet loss most likely wouldn't be terribly noticeable until you get in the >5% range.

Hi! Yes i get packet loss to my router if the packet size is big enough. Small packets like 32 bytes i think work fine. Also i start getting packet losses if i ping 3 targets or so in Pingplotter. Maybe there is some protection mechanism that stops several pings per second from coming back to me?

Last edited:
Is it normal to get 25-40% packet loss in Pingplotter pro, when trying to ping more than one target at a time? The Loss is from my router. When i ping only one target i get no loss. Using 1-2 sec intervals mostly

Back