Computer won't go into Standby with Folding@home running

imzjustplayin

[H]ard|Gawd
In the quest to reduce my energy usage while still contributing to Folding@home, I am looking to have a good compromise between the two. Currently I have folding@home running on my PCs 24/7. Problem is, even with TOU scheduling with my utility, this adds up to a lofty sum of money since I'm currently on the highest energy tier which comes out to around $0.38 a KWH on OFF PEAK! What I'd like to do is have my computers when they're not in use go into Standby so that they're ready for when I need them but at the same time not consuming too much electricity.

Alright, here is the problem. When you have Folding@home running, the computer will NOT go into standby on its own. In order to get it to go into standby, you must manually tell it to go into standby. How can I get the computer to forcibly go into standby while folding@home is running? A common problem with Windows' implementation of going into standby is that even though it's suppose to go into standby when there is no keyboard or mouse activity, sometimes if applications are running, they'll prevent it from going into standby. I want to figure out how applications are preventing windows from not going into standby so I can toggle that ability as I see fit.

How can I get the computer to go into standby on its own while having Folding@home running? I only want Folding@Home to run when the computer is actually in use.

you would have to close F@H before it goes into sleep mode.. having it go into sleep mode when F@H is running can actually cause problems like corrupt WU's..

so your only choice would be to shut off F@H before you leave your computer and letting it go into standby mode..

Standby requires the computer to be idle. Since F@H will use 100% of your available CPU cycles, your computer will never be idle while running F@H. Therefore, it is impossible to make your computer go into standby without either doing it manually or by closing F@H first.

where the hell do you live?

.38 kwh?

It's called tiered pricing, most utility companies have this - problem is, most people aren't aware of it.. It's pretty much why you could double your energy usage for the month but see your bill triple in price..

Yea but why sign up for tiered service?

in Texas i have a .094 kwh fixed rate.

you live in AK or HI?

Yea but why sign up for tiered service?

in Texas i have a .094 kwh fixed rate.

you live in AK or HI?

depends on where you live in and your power companies.. california has it as well but some area's base your tier pricing on your neighborhood.. so say the avg usage is (just an example) 1000KW.. but you use 1500KW they pretty much triple your price.. was happening to my uncle because all the houses around him were forclosed on so no one lived in them.. so because of that the avg in the neighborhood was 0.. well think about how much power you use in a house with 6 computers, 3 kids, and 3 adults.. so he was paying around 700 dollars a month in electricity while my parents were paying about 200 with us using 3 times the amount of electricity as him since we didnt have the tier system in my town..

depends on where you live in and your power companies.. california has it as well but some area's base your tier pricing on your neighborhood.. so say the avg usage is (just an example) 1000KW.. but you use 1500KW they pretty much triple your price.. was happening to my uncle because all the houses around him were forclosed on so no one lived in them.. so because of that the avg in the neighborhood was 0.. well think about how much power you use in a house with 6 computers, 3 kids, and 3 adults.. so he was paying around 700 dollars a month in electricity while my parents were paying about 200 with us using 3 times the amount of electricity as him since we didnt have the tier system in my town..

Actually that's not the reason. The reason we have tiered service is because the Public Utilities Commission in California mandates tiered service. I'm actually glad they have tiered service because what it should do is get people who use a lot of electricity to install a solar system to offset their additional usage. When you pay $0.29 a KWH+, it's a no brainer to install a solar system especially in sunny California and definitely in Texas. Problem is, a lot of people look at the bill and just pay the damned thing without thinking for a second what they're actually paying for with my dad a prime example of this. I told him paying $500 a month on electricity is outrageous and ridiculous but he didn't care and probably reasoned that "it's worth the price".. However when I told him that the only reason the bill was $500 a month is because more than half his electricity usage is being billed at $0.29KWH+ he was completely aghast and soon realized it was absurd to be paying as much as he was. In my Dad's case, the price per KWH is what bothered him, not the actual bill while in other people's cases, it's purely the bill though that seems to not have stopped some people from continuing their habits unabated.

Back