Computer randomly shutting off (Crashing)

AARP

Weaksauce
Hey guys,
I've been having a bit of a problem with my new rig. I built it about 2 months ago (thanks to your guys' advice;)) and so far it has been working flawlessly, except for one thing. I have been getting completely random crashes, like someone pushed the power button on my rig. I'll just be doing something and "Poof" the computer is off. Sometimes when this happens it will keep happening when I try to restart it at completely random intervals. Sometimes it will run for 30 seconds, and other times 5 minutes. I have reset the CMOS multiple times to no avail. Here are my specs:
Evga x58 SLI LE INT 1366
Diamond HD5850
Seagate 1TB HDD
Coolermaster HAF-922 Case
Antec Truepower New 750W PSU
Intel i7 920
OCZ DDR3 Gold 6GB 1600
WTF is going on with my computer?!?

Please run through the stickied Basic Troubleshooting guide and report back with results.

I'd say power supply, too. In the past I've had 2 different PC's do the exact same thing and it was PSU both times.

Yikes...you sure your heatsink is mounted correctly? With the right amount of thermal compound?

If you're overclocking right now, revert back to stock speeds (and disable Turbo Mode, if that's still active).

Follow the steps listed in the troubleshooting sticky to diagnose potential trouble areas.

But even the stock HSF should be able to keep the processor from running all four cores at 100C. You may need to remove the HSF, use some good thermal compound (like Arctic Cooling MX-2/MX-3), and carefully reattach it.

If you're overclocking right now, revert back to stock speeds (and disable Turbo Mode, if that's still active).

Follow the steps listed in the troubleshooting sticky to diagnose potential trouble areas.

But even the stock HSF should be able to keep the processor from running all four cores at 100C. You may need to remove the HSF, use some good thermal compound (like Arctic Cooling MX-2/MX-3), and carefully reattach it.
Yeah, everything is at stock except for Turbo mode. I applied the Arctic Silver by rubbing it around evenly with my finger. Could that be the problem?

Remove the old TIM and reapply it using the instructions listed in the Arctic Silver site.

:eek: Time to invest in something! What are you using for a heatsink now?

He's using the open air as a heatsink, so that explains the heat! Lol...

Wow, seriously dude. Either you have a dud CPU or a very badly mounted CPU HSF.

Now we know what is causing the whole shutting down thing -- it's the thermal shutdown thingy.

He's using the open air as a heatsink, so that explains the heat! Lol...

Wow, seriously dude. Either you have a dud CPU or a very badly mounted CPU HSF.

Now we know what is causing the whole shutting down thing -- it's the thermal shutdown thingy.

Yeah, definitely figured that out when I first decided to investigate the temps in my BIOS. I think it may be a dud heatsink because this didn't start happening until recently.

Back