Computer Jumped Off Bridge

Ok, not really, but my system unexpectedly and quite undramatically died yesterday. Left it running as I ran some errands and when I came back the screen was black and the monitor power button was flashing at me.

The Stats:
Motherboard: Asus P4P800 Deluxe (Socket 478)
CPU: Intel P4 2.2-C
Memory: 1GB Corsair (2x512) XMS 3200 DDR
Video Card: Gigabyte 256MB nVidia 7600 GS
Hard Drive: 160GB Seagate 7200 IDE
PSU: Antec 430W

The Problem:
When I turn on the system, the power and hard drive lights both illuminate solidly. I hear the hard drive spin up and the fans come on. The monitor remains black and the monitor power light begins to flash. I hear no beep from the motherboard to indicate it getting to BIOS, nor any diagnostic voice. Pressing the reset button seems to do nothing. Holding down the power button will turn the system off.

What I've Tried:
I tried removing/disconnecting all unnecessary components so right now I only have the video card in, the primary hard drive connected, and a single dvd drive. I tried removing one of the sticks of memory to force it into single channel, and have tried both sticks individually to ensure its not a singular bad stick. I have tried replacing the video card with an old ATI one I had lying around. I have tried removing the motherboard backup battery and resetting CMOS. None of these things have appeared to do anything, I still get the exact same result when I power the system on.

Anyone have any idea where I should go from here? Without being able to get to BIOS and without hearing any diagnostic voice from the motherboard, I really am scratching my head and where I should go from here in finding out what the culprit is. Any and all help is appreciated.

Sounds like either board or CPU. I would think CPU first since its happened to me before. Similar situation.

I love titles that make you go HUH?!?!? WTF?!?

Any idea if/how I would be able to discern which it could be? Money's just tight enough that I would prefer to keep replacement to an either/or situation not both unless absolutely necessary. Unfortunately I don't exactly have an extra socket 478 chip lying around.

I would probably take it too a local shop to see if they can do a test with a know good CPU. Other than that I don't know what to tell you.

do you have on board video ? try that 1st. i had a 7900 crap out and did the same thing you are seeing. replaced the GPU and all was fine.

Back