Computer Games vs Consoles

What do you think will be your prefered gaming platform?

• PC

Votes: 107 79.9%
  • Nintendo Revolution

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Xbox 360

Votes: 14 10.4%
  • Playstation 3

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters

zappa86

Limp Gawd
I was reading about all the new consoles that are comming out. And I'm seeing all these games getting made for the consoles. I'm wondering if companies will still make as many games for the PC or if they will be shifting their attention toward consoles. I'm the the answer to this question is complicated and burried under economics that I dont understand, but I would still like to know your thoughts. Will I have to buy a console if I wish to play the new games, or can I stick with my trusty PC?

PC gaming is a large enough market that I'd be suprised if it slowed down. The momentum alone should keep it going for a long time.

PS2 and XboX will probably make us go oooh and ahhh for a few months, until ATi and NVidia pull new video cards out of their respective butts. Remember when GTA III was a marvel of technical achievement?

PC all the way.

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
PS2 and XboX will probably make us go oooh and ahhh for a few months, until ATi and NVidia pull new video cards out of their respective butts. Remember when GTA III was a marvel of technical achievement?

PC all the way.

I can't decide if your mangling of the names was intentional or not. :D
You more or less summarised my meaning anyway. This will be like when the previous generation of consoles arrived.

a pc vs console "debate" on a pc forum

never seen this before

gee I hope it goes over smoothly

for me it is

Nintendo >> Xbox > PC.

I buy the game and then worry about the platform. But for me Mario+Zelda+Metroid = super fun.

i prefer pc gaming because of:
1. Keyboard and mouse support
2. 1600x1200 / 4xAA(consoles are going to have AA which is nice, can't stand games without it)
3. mods, tweaking, overall customization that console games don't have

i will definately be buying all the new consoles anyway, but these are the things i wish they would include in future systems. keyboard and mouse support for rpg's and fps's is my biggest hope for the next systems.

This shouldnt even be a poll...its obvious

Anything a console can do, a PC can do more/better

Converge said:
This shouldnt even be a poll...its obvious

So after I go out and buy my $300 Xbox 360 when it is released, I'll be able to go and buy a more capable gaming PC for a better price right?? With consoles the average person can easily be up to date with the latest hardware for the fraction of the price of a decent gaming PC.

My old Xbox can still put out better graphics than most of the computers I end up working on that are using onboard graphics.

Consoles are a better choice for the general population, we definately don't count as the general population though :D

Ugh, another gay-ass PC vs console thread. :rolleyes:

They should make a separate forum where stupid threads like this one go. They could call it [K]indergarten Wonderland. All the n00bs could ask each other all the stupid questions they want, just like when they were in kindergarten.

S1nF1xx said:
Ugh, another gay-ass PC vs console thread. :rolleyes:

They should make a separate forum where stupid threads like this one go. They could call it [K]indergarten Wonderland. All the n00bs could ask each other all the stupid questions they want, just like when they were in kindergarten.

I was looking for the for section called "[K]indergarten Wonderland" as well, but I could not find it. So I posted here, oops.

I play CS:S and most of the AOE series (and CoD2 when it comes out) on my computer....that is all.

Xbox360 is where most on my gaming will be done.

PC gaming for anything conventional and online, MMORPGs, and anything that would otherwise go to the Xbox.

Consoles for crazy Japanese RPGs and other Japanese titles, as well as innovative gameplay ideas. I prefer Nintendo and Sony for obvious reasons.

PCs have consoles beaten in every area except price. As someone said before, you just cannot compete with the ~$300 price of a console.

And think about this: When do the console companies come out with a new console? Once every 1-2 years. When do video card and processor companies come out with new technology? Multiple times each year. Sure, Xbox 360 and PS3 have pretty spectacular specs now, but a year from now, they'll be "mediocre" and two years from now they'll be "downright old." The PC hardware industry just evolves too quickly.

Look at the Xbox. It was pretty amazing when it came out, eh? Well, I bet you'd be surprised to know that it has a 733MHz processor and a GeForce 3 equivalent GPU. :eek:

That's not to say that the consoles won't run games well when they become old. Halo 2 looks almost partially decent, and it runs like a champ on the Xbox.

Unless a better multiplayer game comes out other than CS:S or BF2, I'll be mostly playing on Xbox360 Live play for a while... but like anything else, I'll get bored and go back to computer.

When Halo 3 comes out, that is when the cycle starts all over again. ;)

fuck consoles. they're for idiots too stupid to figure out how to use a computer

I love gaming period. But when it comes to FPS and MMORPGs you can't beat the PC. (and don't say "what about halo" cause halo sucks IMO) But you just can't beat a PC in those repects, and they happen to be my 2 favorite type of games. But I do have my gcube for metroid and zedla, and im really really sad that Destroy All Humans isn't out on gcube cause that game is really fun. I have the Xbox 360 on pre-order however I still think that my PC will remain the main gaming unit in my life.

bobsaget said:
Unless a better multiplayer game comes out other than CS:S or BF2, I'll be mostly playing on Xbox360 Live play for a while... but like anything else, I'll get bored and go back to computer.

When Halo 3 comes out, that is when the cycle starts all over again. ;)

How bout that Battlefield like Quake game made in the doom III engine, or how bout UT2K7?

Right now I use my XboX360 about 4 hours a day. I barely touch my PC except to check mail and surf the [H]. :rolleyes:

Bugalaman said:
fuck consoles. they're for idiots too stupid to figure out how to use a computer

You know, it's narrow minded comments such as this that turns these discussion threads into shitfest. If you have nothing other to post than, "fuck consoles" or "fuck pc games", then seriously just don't post at all.

STOP MAKING THESE TOPICS PEOPLE PLEASE.

Sorry for caps but its getting old... I love both.....

While I love PC's and PC gaming... I think over the next year I will become more of a console gamer (xbox360) for the following reasons.

1) I'm getting married. It will be much easier to just sit down and play a console game then mess around with PC's.

2) I work in IT, so not having to tinker with my own PC constantly and upgrade non-stop will be nice.

3) Getting a 70" HD TV, I think I will enjoy games on it a lot.

4) I've mainly been playing sports games lately, which are much more enjoyable on a console.

5) Being able to save money, consoles are cheaper and last much longer than the latest and greatest pc.

With all that said I will still game occasionaly on my PC and still love PC games. But with the time/money it takes I think I'll be happier not doing it as much and spending more time with more important things.

Converge said:

QFT. I will never prefer a console over a PC. I like being able to play games, check e-mail, browse the web, program, design artwork without being able to leave my chair. PC Games, when programmed well, are far superior to console games.

altec said:
Well yes the ps2 has usb ports and all the xbox needs is a xbox to usb thing lol. And next gen systems are going to have usb as well lol sorry for turning that around on you but it was to easy.

noooooooooooooo :(

Oh well. I still prefer PCs. :D

such a no brainer but good to see it as a poll just to show how much pc interest reigns over the console

After work, dinner, and playing WoW all evening there's no time to mess with consoles. My Xbox and ps2 haven't been used for months. They're child's play.

how can anyone know what their preferred platform is on GAME SYSTEMS THAT AREN'T EVEN OUT YET :rolleyes: lol

odoe said:
You know, it's narrow minded comments such as this that turns these discussion threads into shitfest. If you have nothing other to post than, "fuck consoles" or "fuck pc games", then seriously just don't post at all.
its the threads that need to stop. there must have been a dozen of these created in the last month. I just despise consoless unless its a super nintendo, which IMO is the best console ever. lol, i'm crazy

Bugalaman said:
its the threads that need to stop. there must have been a dozen of these created in the last month. I just despise consoless unless its a super nintendo, which IMO is the best console ever. lol, i'm crazy

Your not crazy you are right, the snes was the best console ever but it had nothing to do with the console, its just that it had some of the best games ever.

JonnyK said:
i prefer pc gaming because of:
1. Keyboard and mouse support
2. 1600x1200 / 4xAA(consoles are going to have AA which is nice, can't stand games without it)
3. mods, tweaking, overall customization that console games don't have

I'll add a couple more:

4. Patches for broken or incomplete features.
5. Easy online play (although consoles are getting better).
6. More RTS and sim-type games (e.g., Empire Earth II, SimCity 4) on the PC.
7. Ability to use one machine for multiple purposes.

The last two are my main reasons for enjoying PC gaming more than consoles. I love the way I can be watching a DVD for a little while, then jump over to Firefox and surf, then type a document and send an email, and then pop in GTA: SA and play a few minutes. You can't do that easily with a console. And with the large variety of simulation and RTS games on the PC, I can't justify owning nothing but a console. I love those genres too much.

urbsnspices said:
Right now I use my XboX360 about 4 hours a day. I barely touch my PC except to check mail and surf the [H]. :rolleyes:

Really? What games do you have? ;)

I take pride in having a video card that is more expensive than a console, so you know my feelings on this.

NickN said:
PCs have consoles beaten in every area except price. As someone said before, you just cannot compete with the ~$300 price of a console.

Not exactly. The PC is a complete system, you can't run a console by itself. How much does a good HDTV and Stereo system go for these days? Even if the PC ends up more expensive, the price difference isn't that great.

As for ROI (If you can call it that, or you can replace it with the word 'flexibility'), you'll still be able to play next generation titles on your old system, albeit at reduced performance. You can't exactly run XBoX360 titles on an XBoX. Nor can you play 'Oni' on a PS. And if you like to walk the legal line, get an emulator to play other console games as well as adaptors to get the cool console accessories to work on your PC.

Back