Computer freezes at post

ZeroBullet

Gawd
This is not a new build, but rather a system that's been working with no problems since Sept. 2004. The specs are listed below.

Yesterday my computer began randomly locking up, and today it will not get past the POST screen before locking up completely. I've swapped in/out and tested every component except the motherboard and processor. I'd rather not RMA both if one is a perfectly functioning unit. Is there some way I can tell which is the faulty unit without having replacements of either to test with? The post itself doesn't give any indication, it simply locks up with no beeps at the 'Platinum' motherboard splash screen.

I'm sorry this is vague, I'm not sure how else to describe the problem.

Try disconnecting your optical drives.

I've seen a bad CD-ROM cause this exact problem before.

You said that you swapped out all your components. Does that include PS? Was the one you swapped it with known to be good and rated for your system?

It's not the optical drive or CMOS. I can try a new power supply tomorrow. Just curious though as I have little prior experience: I've had the PSU unplugged while I make changes, and when I plug it back in it makes a hissing type sound I've never noticed before (never had it unplugged this long though). Is this common or a sign that it's the broken part? Is it common that the PSU could be the bad part, but it still powers up and keeps all the fans spinning even though the computer has locked up?

Back