Computer doesn't want to go to sleep or hibernate

coder_t2

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, so I have my HTPC set to go to sleep after an hour and hibernate after 2. However, it seems to just turn off the monitor. Same thing happens if I go to Start -> Shutdown -> Sleep. It doesn't really go to sleep. Any ideas what is wrong here? Thanks.

Got the rig configured to share media files? I'm guessing you have, considering it's a HTPC. If media sharing is enabled in your networking configuration then sleep will be disabled. That's just how it works. A machine which is serving out media files can't be in standby/sleep/whatever.

My HTPC isn't sharing anything since it is the only one I have and it is connected to the only TV in my house. When I tell it to sleep, the screen gets all black like it wants to, but then comes back to the Desktop. I went to the Network and Sharing Center and even turned off Network Discovery. Is there some kind of permissions I need to give to do this?

Have you got the BIOS set so that the mouse can bring it out of sleep?

There is no setting like that in BIOS. The only thing I see related to sleep is a Suspend field, with the options as follows:

S1 (POS)
S3 (STR)
S1&S3

I have it set to S1&S3. This is getting kind of annoying that it won't go to sleep. This is like the only time I would ever really want this function to work.

What is the motherboard brand and model?

Check "Power Options" on the control panel.
"Change plan settings"
"Change advanced power settings"
Expand "Multimedia settings".
Expand "When sharing media".

Does it say "Prevent idling to sleep"?
Change it to "Allow the computer to sleep" and see if that helps.

Also, make sure that your network card/mouse/keyboard aren't allowed to power it back on.

I put my main desktop to sleep. I had to go into Device manager and on my network card and mouse I had to uncheck the box under Power features or something like that, that says 'allow device to wake computer'. I left my keyboard on because thats what I use to wake it up. This was on Vista HP x64.

But I've also had to this on my HTPC which is running Win7 Ult x86. Except I had to turn off the keyboard as well as my wireless keyboard seems to turn it right back on if I put it to sleep.

Hmm, ok I'll look into it. I have an Asus P5N-E SLI Mobo. It's in my sig, but from what I hear sigs don't appear on [H] mobile or something.

HTPC: E6420 2.13 GHz | 2GB G. Skill DDR2 800Mhz | Asus P5N-E SLI | 550W Antec Tru Power | EVGA 8800 GTS 320 MB | Vista Home Premium | Samsung 37'' LCD Model: LN37A330J1D

Awesome, I think going into the device manager did the trick. It had 2 mice registered there though. I think the issue may be that I am using a Mx Duo keyboard and a logitech G7 wireless mouse. The mx duo receiver may be sending some weird mousing signal or something. Can't wait to get my remote and then I won't have to get up!

Ok, I have to open this back up because I am annoyed now. I just bought a MCE remote and the computer won't go to sleep unless I disable it's ability to wake on the remote. Do other people have this problem? I don't want to get up to turn on the computer everytime I want to watch it. Kind of the point of the remote.

Back