Computer crashes while running Prime95

Xen0n27

n00b
Hey guys. I was just running Prime95 to test how stable my computer is. I just reapplied TIM to my cpu/hyper212+ and wanted to make sure that it was good now (way too much last time).

Prime95 ran for about 30 minutes before I got a bluescreen error. The error on the screen was something like a service exception.

This is from my system log:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000003b (0x00000000c0000005, 0xfffff8000f7df610, 0xfffff88005964b70, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 111011-6895-01.

Searching the "Events and Errors Message Center" for this error finds nothing.

I was watching my temps and they looked okay. I'm not over-clocking right now. Running @ stock and using XMP (1600mhz, CAS8).

I was thinking about reapplying TIM to my cpu/hyper212+, although I'm not sure if that would matter at this point since I'm not having temp issues.

Not sure what else to do at this point, other than maybe picking up a new set of DIMMs that are on ASUS's list of memory that is known to be compatible with the P8Z68-V.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.

This is strange. I see a system log event that states that my memory.dmp file was deleted after booting up because I have less than 25GB on my C: drive (which is a SSD). I'm configured to use a kernel memory dump, so its not like it would take much space. I've got 24.6GB free, so there should be enough for a full dump.

You don't need a full dump, configured it for small memory dump 64kb. The dump should have enough information for you to debug.

Is this a new build? You can also run Memtest on each RAM to ensure stability

Last edited:
BugginOuT - It is pretty much a new build. I started off reusing my Corsair TX650 PSU, but its been making strange noises for a while. I replaced it with an AX750 to be sure that power wasn't an issue.

Just tried running Memtestx86 off an OpenSUSE 12.1 DVD. It doesn't even start. Hangs right at the beginning. That's not a good sign. Grrrr.... I guess I'm going to have to RMA my memory. I'm going to try Memtestx86 off one other disc just to be sure though.

enginurd - I was doing a blend test.

I'm running the latest memtestx86 from memtest.org. Strangely enough, its running now and looks good so far. I guess it pays to run the latest and greatest diagnostic utilities. The version included with OpenSUSE 11.4 must be incompatible with my board or memory.

If this runs clean, its looking its just time to reinstall Windows. Not sure what else to do at this point. Troubleshooting an unstable Windows install seems pointless, especially since I just reinstalled a few days ago and there isn't anything in my OS that needs to be saved.

But if it's a new build, you could be experiencing a hardware and/or software issue. Reformatting the PC might not solve your hidden issue, where it can crop up in the future. Better to find out what's wrong with it now, but that's just me.

I think that I have for the most part ruled out hardware, so I wanted to try a new OS install. Luckily, I have a spare HDD, so I won't lose my current install (not that it matters much at this point though). If I can duplicate the problem after reinstalling on a different drive, then it is obviously some hardware component.

Here's a summary of my components:

I5-2500k CPU - New. When I run Prime95 it crashes after about 30 minutes or so. Temps are 60 C or less when that happens, so I'm guessing that I did the thermal paste right last time. I'm not ruling out that the CPU is bad, but it is not that likely.

ASUS P8Z68V motherboard - New. Recently swapped out with a new one from Frys. Based on the continuing issues I've had, it may not have been bad in the first place.

G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 1600mhz CAS8 memory - New. Just ran 2 passes of Memtestx86 4.2. No errors. I'm confident that the memory is not the issue.

MSI GTX560 Ti Twin Frozer II - Left over from my old PC build. I've been using it since April without a problem. Most likely not a problem. I was able to run Furmark on it (full screen) for 30 min without my computer crashing during the run. Strangely, it would crash a couple minutes after I stopped Furmark (which led me to think about the cpu being related to the issue.

Corsair AX750 PSU - New. I'm confident that it is in good shape. My system is a lot quieter after replacing a 3 year old Corsair TX650, which would make high-pitched noises when I played games (only when using certain video modes though).

Hyper 212+ HSF - New. Just reapplied the thermal paste this morning. Like I said earlier, based on the temps looks okay this time. I can't think of any other way that mis-applying thermal paste would adversely affect a CPU.

Hard drives, SSD, Case, Monitor - all holdovers from my old build. Its doubtful that they're causing the problem. SSD and WD HD are pretty much brand new, from recent RMAs.

I have to laugh after what I typed last night. "I'm confident that memory is not the issue". Memory definitely looks like the problem now.

When just DIMM 1 is installed (in slot A2), I can run Prime95-blend and do other things on the computer with no problem. When DIMM 2 is installed in either A2 or B2, or if it is installed along with DIMM 1, Prime95-blend will either run for a few minutes before workers will stop due to errors OR I'll have a bluescreen.

I ran memtest86+ last night on my suspect DIMM, thinking that running it for 8 hours+ should return at least one error. Not one. Not sure why Prime95 would do such a good job of finding an error quickly when a "real" memory testing app can't.

Ram voltage is set to stock - 1.5v

I already tested with both sticks. Memtest86+ did not find an error after 3 passes. I suppose that I could run overnite, but I don't see the point now. I already identified which one is bad and am preparing to send the memory back to G.Skill now. RMA-ing to Newegg isn't an option because I stupidly recycled the packaging already.

I picked up some "spare" memory from Frys this afternoon (2x4GB Patriot DDR3-10666 1.65v) and my system is very stable with them installed. Problem solved.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for your help.

Back