Computer Choppers / Qtip42's Gallery

Qtip42

[H]is Modness
I've been meaning to start this thing for a while but I don't often take pics of my work unless it's a major project. I'm working on fixing that. Most of this work is for different clients. I'll just bump once I have something to update. Enjoy.

(edit: I really need to update this more often...Digg case added for popularity sake. :D)

Digg Case Mod
digg6.jpg

Most of you have seen this. This is what I consider my "real" start to customizing. Everything before it was pretty basic so I'm not posting any of those. Forgive the letterbox, I was in a hurry at the time.
10.jpg

11.jpg

Here's a Dell Inspiron 8200. A simple metallic gray paint. Nothing fancy. The original finish was a textured black-ish color.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

This was a basic paint job with a decal. Pretty simple all around. Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite.
4.jpg

5.jpg

A lady wanted something very simple for her grand daughter. She mainly wanted her name on it for security purposes. Not much spent on this, just a simple metallic color with some lettering. The Dell logo was also removed. The font used was not my choice, nor my style. A simple 2-day job (including cure time). The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1501.
6.jpg

I didn't get a good angled shot of this but it is an Antec Super Lanboy. The client wanted a transformers theme with some airbrushing on the side panel. The airbrush shows the logo emerging from clouds (hard to see because of the reflection).
7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

sick as hell qtip42, i love all your cases, especially the batman one, wish ther was someone like you who lived near me :D, also i cant wait to see the finished digg case

Wait wth YOU did that Batman case mod!?!?!

OMFG all this time I worshipped the man who did that and man I blown away it is you!!! :D

My fave case mod by far, Batman is the greatest:D

:eek:

Is there a point how-to you recommend to get similar finishes that you accomplised on the laptops? I checked the FAQ and most of them dont show examples as good as your work.

Thanks :) It's a shame the TV is gone though. The poor case sits alone in the corner. Too big for a shop display.

Wow. I go away for a while and you finished it. Actually finished the Batman mod... I'm amazed. And those other paintjobs are just astounding. Great work, man.

How do you get that kind of finish on those laptops?

What kind of primer/paint/clear coat do you use? How many coats? Wet sanding?

Just regular basecoat/clearcoat (4 coats each). The laptop covers tend to get the most coats especially with exotic paints. Brand depends on what kind of quality the person wants. Omni is probably what I use most but PPG is used when it's show quality. Wetsanding just depends on how well the paint lays down when I spray it....and how clean the booth is (dirt sucks!).

I have an 8200 lying around, just to surf the web and stuff. Can you please tell me how you got rid of the huge Dell logo at the back ? This is excellent work btw, metallic gray looks quite good with the black keyboard, KUTGW.

The logo pops out from behind through a pinhole. I filled it with bondo, spot putty, primer, sealer, and finally paint.

Always good to seal those things if you're not putting a graphic on the top. You might get a little shrinkage otherwise (you'll still be able to see an outline of the logo).

Your website is very informing by the way. Now I wish I had access to some of the tools you mention in the how-to. :)

The Batman mod really is a work of art. I first saw it in the Max PC 'Mod of the Month' column in the back. Very nice work :)

Thanks for the comments guys. I've got more to add coming up here, as of now I'm just preparing for pdxlan. Can't get much done when it's so cold in the shop.

Added the Digg case mod. Sorry I got lazy on the posting pics in general. I'll start in again.

Just regular basecoat/clearcoat (4 coats each). The laptop covers tend to get the most coats especially with exotic paints. Brand depends on what kind of quality the person wants. Omni is probably what I use most but PPG is used when it's show quality. Wetsanding just depends on how well the paint lays down when I spray it....and how clean the booth is (dirt sucks!).
So if it's required, do you wetsand all 8 coats (basecoats and clearcoats)? Also, what is that bottle of 3M polishing stuff? and how do you use it?

Wetsand only the clear. The bottle of 3M is buffing compound for dark finishes.

You never cease to amaze, the digg project of course being the newest case of awesomeness. Wonderful job :cool:

Back