Computer boots but stalls at XP loading screen

genmae

n00b
I'm fixing an IBM NetVista A40 model 6648 but am having trouble with installing Windows onto it. It will boot from the CD-ROM drive to allow me to partition and copy setup files, but when it needs to restart to advance the installation, it hangs.

Restarting it allows me to see the grey XP progress bar and then it restarts. Trying to boot up from Bart PE fails and the computer also restarts.

I have also tried to ghost a sysprep image onto the hard disk, but booting also fails at the same point and exhibits the same symptoms.

Any help or insight into this matter is greatly appreciated. I have checked the hardware, configured the BIOS, checked power, CPU temps, tried another hard disk with new IDE cable, but to no avail. Perhaps anyone who has had experience dealing with IBMs could comment. Thanks in advance.

Just a thought, are there any USB devices plugged in? Even a mouse? If so try without the device. Seen it a few times, if it boots with no usb devices, toggle the bios setting for usb legacy support.

Back