Component in to DVI. Can I use this little TV as a second monitor?

Phranq

Gawd
http://www.target.com/Digital-Prism-Portable-LCD-TV/dp/B001W8WEGC/ref=sc_ri_5

Basically what I'm wondering is whether or not that small television can be hooked up to my computer via the component in. I can't see it in the picture, but it claims to have component in. I'm pretty sure to use standard A/V in to the computer you'd need a converter, but I thought for component video you did not.

I'm just wondering, because I was looking for a portable TV but if it could double as a small portable monitor that would be really neat.

DVI is a digital signal, whereas component is analog, you can't convert one into the other without a pricey transcoder. Many video cards though have a component adapter/dongle, you sure yours doesn't?

Might be a little tough figuring out what the native resolution of that screen is, you'd probably have to use powerstrip to achieve it's native resolution.

Have you googled the screens model # yet? Oftentimes there are online communities that have done all the legwork, and would let you know the pitfalls.

In light of what i mentioned above, if you're still gung-ho about buying this, just be sure to hold onto the receipt just in case ;)

I'm pretty sure my old 6600gt had a dvi/component adapter. My current 4830 came with a dvi/hdmi converter and I'm pretty sure that's it. In the case of the dongle is the video card itself doing the transcoding or what? I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to video signal.

In the case of the dongle is the video card itself doing the transcoding or what? .
No, it means the video card has the capability onboard, the dongle just passes the signal along.

For the record: Adapter cables will never convert a digital signal to analog, and vice versa. The only reason why those DVI-I to vga adapters work with video cards is because the analog pins are present within DVI-I (meaning it has both digital and analog capability already built-in)

What exact videocard do you own? I can take a quick look and maybe tell you if component output is possible.

If it's this Sapphire HD 4830 then it may have already come with a component dongle, do you still have the accessory pack to check?

If yours didn't come with it, does it have that S-video looking port in the center? If your card does have the port then all you would need to do is buy a cheap ATI component dongle somewhere and you're set (monoprice, ebay, google products etc)

Yes it has the S-video in the middle. I can try and find the box. I left it at home when I went back to college so who knows what my mother did with it. I probably have a dongle somewhere. I remember having one from an old video card too.

And I just checked my Newegg order history and I have that exact card. I guess I'm off to hunt down the dongle somewhere. Last question. Would a cable like this work?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10235&cs_id=1023504&p_id=2508&seq=1&format=2

It looks like it would, but I'd like to be sure.

Last question. Would a cable like this work?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10235&cs_id=1023504&p_id=2508&seq=1&format=2

It looks like it would, but I'd like to be sure.
Good question.

Your card's DVI output is hardwired to output VGA also, but a VGA signal is very different from a component signal. Your card's DVI port may, or may not, be hardwired to output component.

Unless you can do a search and verify first, you'd definitely be taking a chance on it not working, and stuck with a bizzaro cable that you'd never have a use for.

So I guess I lied about last question then.

I found my box, but the dongle is mysteriously absent. I do however have the yellow small adapter that I can't identify and what appears to be an S-video to component short cable (the cable linked in Zepher's post, the first picture).

So I guess I lied about last question then.

I found my box, but the dongle is mysteriously absent. I do however have the yellow small adapter that I can't identify and what appears to be an S-video to component short cable (the cable linked in Zepher's post, the first picture).

The small yellow adapter is for composite out.
Use the one that looks like the one in my first link and you will be good to go.

and what appears to be an S-video to component short cable (the cable linked in Zepher's post, the first picture).
Ya, that's the dongle i was referring to.

That's a hybrid S-video port btw, it has the pins for both standard s-video and component.

You are def good to go now.

Thanks a bunch to everyone in this thread. I'm pretty worthless when it comes to audio/video.

Ya, I am looking right at that as I type this. I was just a little confused because one of my previous cards had the actual DVI/Component dongle. That's cool though that this can do it too. Once again thanks a bunch.

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays whichever you prefer.

Sorry to bump. I got it and it works... well?

Videos look fine on it. I admit to watching Mythbusters and running around on WoW earlier.

However, I cannot for the life of me get Windows 7 to let me put this thing in its native resolution (480x234). I tried Powerstrip. I tried adding a custom resolution and making custom drivers for the monitor. Neither had any effect. It will not allow me to go under 640x480. I updated my graphics drivers to no avail. I would really like to get this thing looking nice. Currently web pages are marginally readable due to the false resolution. If nothing can be done it's not the end of the world since I can still watch videos they look nice.

If nothing can be done in Windows I can switch over to Linux. I've had WoW working in Linux before and that's the only game I play at the moment anyway.

hmm, i wonder if this is a win7, graphics driver or powerstrip related issue.

I've used powerstrip to get native resolution out of a few small dinky TV's. It worked every time, but there was a couple of times where i had to fuss with it to get it just right.

I do remember once having to deduct a few pixels to get it native, of course deducting a few pixels left thin black bars of unused pixels on the left and right sides... but the image ended up razor sharp.

I would try tweaking powerstrip a few more times before calling it quits.

If you're still forced to feed it a higher resolution, then try experimenting with a few 16:9 resolutions, since that's the monitor's screen ratio.

Back