Compatability of unlocked phone

bbranigin

Weaksauce
I'm looking at an n95 8GB with the following bands
WCDMA 2100, GSM 800, GSM 900, GSM 1800, GSM 1900

I think it's the chinese version but I couldn't confirm with google

with these bands, what kind of connection can I expect from att? Will I have access to the 3g network or just edge?

I'm looking at this over a NAM version because I can get a better price and it will work when I study abroad in Osaka

I need to learn this info myself... for the USA.
If anyone can define the bands & regions I would love to read about that!

I've been browsing AMAZON.com (of all places) for unlocked phones.
They list specs very well - but most unlocked phones say NO WARRANTY?

I want a good VGA video recording phone (prefer touch & tilt screens).
I "think" I want WindowsMobile over other OS's (please tell me?)

Mobile phone forum gets no love :p

What I need is a phone that can operate in 2g+3g at&t networks in the US and 3g networks in Japan (wcdma 2100)

AT&T works on 850 and 1900 bands. I don't see that the handset originally listed has 850 so that could hinder you in some markets where 850 is the dominant band for voice calls.

3g data information can be found here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands

Most other wikipedia articles are brimming with information on carriers and what frequency they operate on. Also, a full-fledged mobile phone forum, such as HowardForums.com might be your best bet for getting detailed answers and opinions.

Unlocked phones are also available on Newegg and Dell. I actually got my unlocked phone from Dell last week. To the OP, I purchased an unlocked Nokia N85 NAM, which may fit what you're looking for. The N85 NAM version is a quad band gsm phone with 3 bands of 3G, WCDMA 850/1900/2100. It is missing the WCDMA 900 band but I don't know if a quad WCDMA phone exists.

Best source for 3G phone specs:GSM Arena.
N95 8GB specs
Basically, there are two versions of the N95 8GB. One uses 2100 band, the other (NAM) uses 850 and 1900 bands. Both are quad band GSM (2G).

Best site to discuss anything and everything regarding cell phones and services: Howard Forums

The HTC Touch Pro (aka Fuze on AT&T) is the only quad UMTS phone I know of.
BUT... All these phones are tri-band UMTS. They are all 850, 1900, 2100 band UMTS phones.

I just ordered a Nokia E71 from Amazon. It'll be my first unlocked phone so I'm in uncharted territory, too.

Back