Compaq power supply

awdark

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a compaq power supply lying around.. it worked before I blew my mobo a while ago..

Do you know if I can covert this thing to a standard 20pin atx?

it has a 24 pin atx connector but doesnt match the 24 nor 20 pin diagrams. I know theres a bunch of 3, 5, 12, and gnd lines but cant figure out the rest.. ideas?

I know compaq psus suck.. but I have it too lazy to get another one for the next pc I intend to build.

just the unit overall? or insides? not much to see inside though.

P6130048.jpg

P6130046.jpg

P6130047.jpg

Hope its helpful..

the color of the lines on the atx connector doesnt seem to correspond to normal ones...

Problem #1: You've only got 1 3.3v coming in, and you need 4

Problem #2: WTF are some of those wires ?! You'll need to jump start this supply and get out the multimeter to find out if they are voltage lines and if so what.

Edit: Wait, non-standard colors. Those brown perhaps are 3.3v, which would make at least the first 4 pins standard ATX

Along the bottom side, if 3.3 = brown, then everything is standard up the 10th pin, at which point it doesn't follow, but that's ok. Also, there is a brown pin where there is usually nothing
Along the top, it looks ok down till the second red, at which point it goes nuts.

You've got a good chance

Im having trouble starting it.. definitely not the green and gray wires... I plugged it into the mobo and it used to start it but i was measuring the voltages when I killed another part of the dead mobo... stupid thing...

The first 4 brown ones are 3 volt
The orange is 12 volt
Red is 5 volt
thats what I know so far..

Okay did some shorting.. and probing with my multimeter

Brown I know is 3 or 3.3 volts (x5)
Orange is 12 (x1)
Red is 5 volt (x4)
Black is Ground (x6 one has 2 gnd lines running to one connector)
Pink is 3.3 volts always on (x1)
Green is 5v always on (x1)

Things I dont know: (one of each line)
Gray covered in glue cant read attached to aux board with aux power such as 3v and 5v
Red and white FAN CMD
White and blue "FAN_SINK"
White ONSTBY
Blue covered in glue.. cant read. appears to be on main board.

I tried to short the unknowns with ground and didnt get much of a response I may have shorted it... so I might need to let it sit for a while before I try again.

EDIT: opened power supply to check out the board labels.. cant read 2.

Hidden Gray Wire
P6140054.jpg

Hidden Blue Wire
P6140053.jpg

Overall
P6140051.jpg

Unfortunately jumpering onstby with ground doesnt get it to power up.. I tried that with my multimeter measuring the voltages and it doesnt seem to do anything does it want any more of a signal?!

How'd you jump it on to measure the voltages then? Was it the white?

If you know that, then you've got enough to start desoldering/diking wires and putting the ATX connector back together.

um how do I start with the white wire? because I tried to short to ground and didnt get anythign.

After some shorting I figured out that most likely my fan wont start as there is 2 wires for the fan on the connector and I just plugged my multimeter into the 12v and Gnd lines but still didnt see anything.

I figured out those wires by carefully pulling the wires and seeing where they were installed on the psu's board. I could read those labels when I plug it into the mobo it starts for like 5 seconds then goes off I know the board is REALLY dead now.

So you've tried shorting everything to ground now?

Next hope might be trying to find some info from Compaq or from whoever made the PSU guts. Good Luck

sigh.. so shorting is the only way? I was hoping that I was doing it wrong and to power up I would need say a certain ON signal or something.
(have been shorting but ima kinda dangerous :D )

Is all grounds the same?

AAgh.. okay the only time I get somethign is when the white goes to one of the Aux power thats always on.. that makes the voltage on the multimeter jump to 12 then drop... and drop.. to zero again. and i doubt thats suppose to happen. ill crack it open agan and see if i blew fuses...

At http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?countrycode=1000&prodid=84|Deskpro+EN+Series&source=12YJ-0502C-WWEN.xml&dt=18&docid=7333 (need to cite sources right?)

pinout.jpg

:( I think I found it most corresponds to what I thought it was so therefore I think I fried it. Does anything there seem to make sense to you of where I should jumper to make sure its working?

It does define a PSON pin, so I don't see why it shouldn't just be PSON to ground. When you've been trying to jumper it on, have you had any load on the supply? It might be shutting down due to a lack of load.

Load? Um.. like how? should I connect a sacrificial cdrom drive to a connector?

Load doesnt seem to do anythign.. but I am beginning to wonder if its not starting because of a lack of fan... because of those 2 fan lines.
Im very close to declairing it dead as a result of too much testing too little hunting... big sparks = bad thing when testing. I tried what a website said to FS to GND to get the fan started but didnt get anywhere..
the thing that mocks me is the fact that the 5v and 3.3 volt aux works perfectly.. and I dont know how to get the rest to start!

OKAY I declaire this powersupply dead and a part of the whole reason of why my compaq died in the first place. I thank you Vertigo Acid for all your help. In the future, I hope the Compaq pinout can be used by someone else to recycle their psu.

Back