company of heroes or Generals + expansion? or somethin else

tisb0b

[H] Pirate
Since I am getting a nice new comp soon which is taking forever to arrive (e6400, x1950xtx, 2gig ddr667, Widescreen 19" monitor) , I've decided to look at some strategy games to get for it. For $40 (Australian) I can get C&C Generals + the expansion or for $80 (will be less once I've traded in some ps2 games) I can get Company of Hereos so which game do you think I should get? I've decided on company of hereos now I need a good first person shooter to accompany it, post any suggestions you may have, I am currently leaning towards Call of Duty 2 or Farcry.

I would hold out for your FPS and RTS... My vote would be Supreme Commander for RTS coming out early 2007 and UT2007 coming out around same time.

hity645 said:
CoH, theres no doubt.

CoH is better, that's true, but if you are looking at $20 vs. $70, then I'd go with FarCry, which was a really great game as well.

Money aside, Company of Heroes hands down. It's the only reason to be gaming on a PC right now.

I would have to go with Generals + expansion. Company of heroes had a decent single player experience but once I played it once I was done with the game. Generals + Expansion lasted me much longer.

Company of Heros

Plenty of replayability for the medals in the missions on single player then there's multiplayer. Relics online service is excellent and there is a huge player base online. Furthermore, Relic is a company worthy of the game money and listens to the playerbase.

CC Generals - couldn't play online because I had a bug that EA never fixed where my cd key didn't work. Good thing this game was cheap. I hate this company - first they screwup BF2, then they screwup Sims 2 (bug where there is crashing with my 6800 Ultra) so now I avoid them like the plague.

I will also pimp Relic studios, but a different game.

Dawn of War's 2nd expansion pack is being released in a week. Dark Crusade adds on the Tau and Necrons to the other 5 available races and I find the game much more enjoyable than CoH personally.

It's definitely opinion, but the faster paced gameplay and more focus on skirmishes rather than resources means I have more fun in DoW than I do with CoH but as you can see there are other opinions on the topic. :D

Get C&C: First Decade. Lots of good stuff, including Generals and Zero Hour. $40.

Then you can afford CoH, too :D

edit: or do what I did and buy Gens and ZH for $20 each out of bargain bins (before TFD came out)

nullzero said:
I would hold out for your FPS and RTS... My vote would be Supreme Commander for RTS coming out early 2007 and UT2007 coming out around same time.
Why wait? I'm sure he'll have another $50 (US) to buy Supreme Commander once it arrives. I suggest CoH.

I picked up Company of Heroes on Sunday and I'm loving it so far.

My rig barely plays it at 1024x768 so I might have to upgrade before Christmas time like I originally planned :)

C+C Generals is GREAT in a lan environment, but absolutely HORRID online. Shame, game was great.

pigwalk said:
C+C Generals is GREAT in a lan environment, but absolutely HORRID online. Shame, game was great.

Few problems with online play:

-Arbitrary rules, and people who don't follow them (unit restrictions, et cetera)
-Cheat maps (not a huge deal since they can't be rated, but an annoyance)
-Lag-prone servers
-An apparent unit cap. Once a certain number of units is reached (can't quite nail down what it is) units simply stop moving. There are some exceptions: infantry with capture orders, builder and resource units that are doing their respective jobs, and ALL AIRCRAFT. A stuck GLA player is just screwed.
-General idiocy of many of the people who play online

edit: I still play online on a regular basis to keep up my skills for LAN play.

Relic over EA anyday

Relic actually listened to the community for the up and comming expansion Dark crusade (for dawn of war)

if you into WW2 go for CoH, if into a bit more (well alot) variety go for DoW/WA/DC (or just DC on its own - it is stand-alone)

COH ftw! Although you could probably get both. Zero Hour+Generals has to be about $10 now. I got both at EB a while ago for $8.(3 for ZH and 5 for Generals).

Company of Hereos it is now I just need a good fps to accompany it, any suggestions?

ok thanks aZn_plyR does anyone else have some suggestions for a good fps?

CoH is by far my favorite RTS out there. I have Generals, and it's complete garbage.

I'm currently looking for a good first person shooter that will keep me entertained for awhile since I am going to get CoH.

You can buy Generals and it's expansion for $15 total at CompUSA. It is now in the bargain bin section. I enjoy Generals but it was hard to look at the character models after playing CoH.

Hmmm....difficult to just recommend a FPS without narrowing down what you like and what you intend to use it for. LAN parties? Single player? Far Cry had excellent SP, but you won't find many playing MP. Conversely, I prefered CoD2's MP to it's SP. So it's really a matter of preferences.

FluxCap said:
You can buy Generals and it's expansion for $15 total at CompUSA. It is now in the bargain bin section. I enjoy Generals but it was hard to look at the character models after playing CoH.

I live in Australia so shit is more expensive.

wfalcon said:
Hmmm....difficult to just recommend a FPS without narrowing down what you like and what you intend to use it for. LAN parties? Single player? Far Cry had excellent SP, but you won't find many playing MP. Conversely, I prefered CoD2's MP to it's SP. So it's really a matter of preferences.

well I'll probably be playing single player so it looks like another one for FarCry :cool:

Back