Comp wont boot?

HCLPfan

Gawd
So long story short, I have an Abit IP35 motherboard which, when you boot up, normally gets about 5 second into booting, then shuts down, then fully boots up. I'm not sure why but thats just how it works. The other day I returned to my apartment after being away for a while for the holidays and it wont boot anymore (or at least something is wrong).

Basically, it will boot up and at the point it normally shuts down it doesn't and just keeps running. All my fans are spinning, I can hear the HD's so things are actually booting. But my monitors are getting no signal. The light blinks as if the computer is off.

I've tried reseating the video card with no luck and not sure what else it could be. Perhaps its a PSU issue? Or my mobo battery?

Update: Here is what I've tried:
- Reset the CMOS
- Pull the RAM
- Pull the RAM and Vidcard
- Use a different PSU

I'm assuming it must just be my mobo?

After messing around with everything I can think of, the computer now boots and restarts like its supposed to, except that it does it about 3-4 times in a row before going into the state of running but no POST. I guess my mobo is just fried?

from what ive seen in the past, that could be from several reasons.

your PSU may be on its way out, this could be it struggling to provide enough juice. when you first turn on your PC it has to spin up your HD's and simultaneously charge all the capacitors on the board, it may take a weak PSU several trys to do this.

on older systems fans were sometimes the cuplrit, ensure that all your fans spin smoothly.

its possible that something happened on your mobo too, theres a lot to break there.

try taking out any extra vid cards, HD's, etc and try again

EDIT: I didnt see your edits, from what you've described I agree that your mobo is suspect here

Possibly a sticky power button? Maybe when you are pressing the button, the momentary switch is engaged, however the button stays partially depressed, eventually causing a shutdown?

I am having the exact same problem.
Even with a new bios, new powersupply, no overclock, and minimum requirements, I still get no post until 3-4 power on attempts.

Which PSUs are you guys using?

Also, just curious, but do you guys live in a cold climate area? There have been issues with IP35 boards, Seasonic OEM PSUs, and cold weather, but I'm not sure if Corsair ever pinpointed the problem.

Oh, and do you guys have UPS units?

@OP: was the system plugged into the wall while you were gone?

I am having the exact same problem.
Even with a new bios, new powersupply, no overclock, and minimum requirements, I still get no post until 3-4 power on attempts.

Mine goes through 3-4 but still never posts. Just hangs on the last one.

Which PSUs are you guys using?

Also, just curious, but do you guys live in a cold climate area? There have been issues with IP35 boards, Seasonic OEM PSUs, and cold weather, but I'm not sure if Corsair ever pinpointed the problem.

Oh, and do you guys have UPS units?

@OP: was the system plugged into the wall while you were gone?

I have an Antec 550w PSU that powered the system for well over a year before the issue. I also ripped a Raidmax 380w out of my server and the same issue.

I live in Dallas so not super cold but i did turn my heat off while I was out of town which is when it stopped working so it was probly in 30 F weather at times.

Not sure what UPS means but yes it was plugged in but powered off. My surge protector light is still on tho so I don't think that is the issue.

Also, I just remembered when I got back I had to reset my microwave clock so I guess we lost power. Maybe that fried the board?

Which model Antec PSU? If its a Truepower or Smartpower, chances are, it needs to be replaced. Those units were notorious for high failure rates -- though, not in low cold conditions, lol (they failed in high heat conditions). If its still under the 3yr warranty, get it replaced by Antec. The Raidmax PSU is even worse quality than the truepower/smartpowers. :(

UPS stands for Uninterruptible Power Supply.

See if you can get a good quality PSU to test your system with. Any Corsair PSU, Antec Earthwatts/Neopower/Signature series, Silverstone, PC P&C, etc.

Yeah its Truepower and yeah the raidmax was one of those crappy PSU's that came with a $35 case when i was just looking for a case to throw my components in heh. I'll see if I can borrow a friends PSU or somethin.

Back