Comcast: Thinking about buying my own modem

WarriorX

2[H]4U
I am thinking of buying my own modem and was wondering if there is anything I need to do on my end to have it work, or is it pretty much plug and play.

Also what does this mean for support with Comcast? If I call them with internet issues are they going to just blame my modem or will they still try to help me?

I am thinking of buying my own modem and was wondering if there is anything I need to do on my end to have it work, or is it pretty much plug and play.

Also what does this mean for support with Comcast? If I call them with internet issues are they going to just blame my modem or will they still try to help me?
Hello, I use Comcast with my own modems for a long time now. I haven't had much trouble with them trying to blame my equipment but I do keep a spare modem around to try if they pull that crap. Basically you just get a motorola sb6143 or sb6183 or a newer model of those with different numbers after "sb". They show up under the "Arris" brand nowadays. There are some bar codes and numbers and MAC address on the box and on the modem, is easier to hook up the modem and then take the box, call Comcast and activate the modem by saying "I would like to activate my own modem", they'll ask for the HFC MAC and maybe something else, I forget the verbatim details but it is not difficult.

I just recently got a modem to replace the comcast voice modem. I didn't even have to call anyone. I hooked up the modem and then hooked up a laptop directly to it and a page came up to activate the modem online. I have a separate modem for my internet so i had wifi for my laptop.

If you are looking to buy a modem for comcast, I would look into a refurbed Arris 6183, or arris 6141. Both are essentially motorola surfboard modems rock solid, and bullet proof. And can be had for very cheap too. Fuck renting, seriously fuck that shit right in the ear. poney up a sawback and be happy with your choice.

The 6141 is EOL and will not give you stuper fast speed. I get 100/25 so if that works great.

i recently bought a Netgear CM600 and i really liike it's performance so far.

If you are looking to buy a modem for comcast, I would look into a refurbed Arris 6183, or arris 6141. Both are essentially motorola surfboard modems rock solid, and bullet proof. And can be had for very cheap too. Fuck renting, seriously fuck that shit right in the ear. poney up a sawback and be happy with your choice.

The 6141 is EOL and will not give you stuper fast speed. I get 100/25 so if that works great.

Buyins is definitely the way to go. The modem paid for itself within the first year due to saved rental fees. I've been using the 6141 for the last 3 years and it is quite fast. I get 180/12 most times.

I loved my Zoom 5341j (it never gave me any trouble) and I love my Zoom 5370.

The Zoom 5370 is a 16x4 modem and it costs $80 new. It just works, period.

I've owned every generation of Motorola modems ever (since the very first cable modem to one generation ago) and every single one would just stop working every 2 months and need to be reset. The lifespan of every Motorola modem I had was usually 2yrs before they crapped out. The Zoom 5341j was my first non-Motorola modem and I won't ever be going back. The only reason I upgraded to the Zoom 5370 was because of the higher speed internet I ordered.

Zoom modems also carry a 2 year warranty as opposed to Motorola's 1 year.

The Zoom 5341j was my first non-Motorola modem and I won't ever be going back. The only reason I upgraded to the Zoom 5370 was because of the higher speed internet I ordered.

Zoom modems also carry a 2 year warranty as opposed to Motorola's 1 year.

That's funny when you consider that all of the cable modems currently sold under the Motorola name are made by Zoom.

That's funny when you consider that all of the cable modems currently sold under the Motorola name are made by Zoom.
Even if they have the same chipset and/or manufacturing plant & parts they run different software.

Motorola sold their cable modem and STB business to Arris (owned by Google)

Zoom struck a deal to use the Motorola name for 5 years on their STB's and cable modems.

Doesn't sound like Motorola owns zoom. Zoom is privatly owned. Reminds me of when SBC purchased AT&T and scrapped the SBC name.

FYI: if your modem is EOL, they may not help you register it. I had one EOL and they told me to buy a new modem since they can activate it but their system automatically deactivates EOL modems.

I did...so, maybe I'm the sucker?

Back