Comcast - semi-static IP?

versello

2[H]4U
Anyone else with Comcast have the same IP for say, oh, the last year? I've been with Comcast for two years, and my IP address changed only when I swapped routers. I mean, seriously, I can release my IP and wait an entire day and I'll pick up the same IP once I reconnect.. sure, that means it's not really a true-statically assigned IP, but it's cool how long these leases are.

Yeah my buddy has it...often has that same IP for the longest time. Usually only changes if he connects a different device to the modem (MAC).

Yeah, that's what's nice about Comcast. Your IP won't really change unless you plugged a device with a different MAC address. Release/renew all you want, that IP is yours for a long time!

It's funny too actually -- check their lease time, and it's only a few days.

Yeah, of all the bandwidth providers out there, I have to give kudos to comcast. They may charge an arm and a leg, but you get good service.

At least in my area. I get the semi static IP that you mentioned, and I get download speeds that put my friend's to shame. Don't have a need to call customer service that much, but when I do they actually get that I've already power cycled the modem and all the other junk they have you try first.

They don't even blink when I tell them I'm running a linux router. SBC's indian tech support will *freak* on this point ( I hate sbc btw, with a passion ).

SBC tried to roll out the same system a while back, not sure if their deployment is complete yet. Was talking to tech support about a client's issues and the tech kept meantioning "sticky" IP.I couldn't figure out what the hell he was talking about. I brushed it off for ignorance at the time because he had no clue what I was talking about when I said "stacic" IP, but read about them starting to use "sticky" IPs a few weeks later on dslreports.com.

-Chris

Back