Combo Drive Not Reading DVDs

Negotiator

n00b
I bought one of those Rosewill combo drives that were on special at Newegg. I was kind of skeptical, but when I found out they were the same thing as AOpen I went for it. Mine reads CDs and burns fine, but it will not recognize DVDs. The Rosewill website is basic at best, but I downloaded the firmware update, and had no luck.

It is currently using the AOpen drivers for the AOpen version of the burner (which is exactly the same). Could this be a driver issue?

Either the drive is bad, the drivers arent working right, something is wrong with your dvd software or decoder, or the dvds are poor quality for example they are cheap DVD-rs but most likely its the drive.

RMA it.

The DVD I tested it with was the FarCry DVD version. I put my other DVD drive (a Samsung) in this comp, and it fired up perfectly. I figured I wouldn't get out of buying a bunch of stuff from Newegg without something going wrong. Windows recognizes it in My Computer as a DVD/CD-RW, so is that a sign of anything?

Negotiator said:
Windows recognizes it in My Computer as a DVD/CD-RW, so is that a sign of anything?

That's a sign that the firmware is telling windows the right stuff about the drive.

Back