Coinbase App Reaches the Top of the Apple App Charts in US Store

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
With bitcoin surging in price over the last couple of weeks it looks like everyone and his brother is trying to jump on board while the jumping is good. As a result the Coinbase app has jumped to the top of the download charts in the US Apple Store. All of this even though Coinbase continues to have trouble keeping their app and website online for trading. Heck, I'm going to open myself an account and try to speculate a little. Why not ride the wave?

The rise and rise of bitcoin has brought it into the mainstream in the last few weeks, but many observers are warning that the cryptocurrency could be a bubble. Investors have also been reminded of the dangers of hackers, after bitcoin mining marketplace NiceHash lost $64 million in BTC following a "sophisticated and professional attack".

While I'm not ignorant of the volatility of Bitcoin, people have been calling bubbles since the $20 mark. Bitcoin is a different beast and like anything else you put money into, you have to be ready to accept risk and potential loss of those monies if that is all you are in it for.

Montu Take some advice from a long time bitcoin trader/miner. Stay away from Coinbase, go with any other exchange, you will thank me later.

Some of the other ones that are MUCH better:
Gemini
cex.io
Kraken

Coinbase charges a VERY large fee on top of already marked up coin. (Current markup above actual value is $100+) TERRIBLE customer service, they are completely overwhelmed and have been for 6+ months.

Stay far far away from Coinbase/GDAX!

I'm no fan of e-currency, mostly because I enjoy my work and make a good living I suspect. That's disregarding Bitcoin's primary use as an exchange currency for criminal enterprise as well.

I do laugh when the people who tell me it's a total scam go and buy lottery tickets though.

Montu Take some advice from a long time bitcoin trader/miner. Stay away from Coinbase, go with any other exchange, you will thank me later.

Some of the other ones that are MUCH better:
Gemini
cex.io
Kraken

Coinbase charges a VERY large fee on top of already marked up coin. (Current markup above actual value is $100+) TERRIBLE customer service, they are completely overwhelmed and have been for 6+ months.

Stay far far away from Coinbase/GDAX!
$100 doesn't matter to much when its 15k a coin

I was able to sell yesterday on Coinbase for 17k.

Not sure about those other exchanges (I assume things are easier to get BT in US)... Coinbase was the first to allow a easy way for me to buy coin but that was a few years ago...

CB isn't really an exchange they are a site that buys/sells coin. As with such things the fees are usually larger...

which exchange will allow me to execute instant sells and buys ?

I was thinking about dumping $10k into bitcoin..... and then I saw it take a $3000 dump, since every amateur is now jumping into this.

maybe I'll buy the next huge dip.
But more importantly, I need instant transactions to get rid of this when i need to, with no caps

While I'm not ignorant of the volatility of Bitcoin, people have been calling bubbles since the $20 mark. Bitcoin is a different beast and like anything else you put money into, you have to be ready to accept risk and potential loss of those monies if that is all you are in it for.

Like the housing market in the 2000s, everyone knows this is a bubble. But there's a difference between knowing a crash is coming vs timing when the crash is coming. BTC could continue climbing for a few more years.

with regard to the subprime mortgage crisis housing bubble, as long as everyone thinks they can flip homes and get rich quick, this will climb for a little while before leaving a select group holding the bag

Like the housing market in the 2000s, everyone knows this is a bubble. But there's a difference between knowing a crash is coming vs timing when the crash is coming. BTC could continue climbing for a few more years.

"Everyone" knows this is a bubble? Funny I didn't get that memo, but I swear I've been hearing "Bitcoin is a bubble" every day since it was .008 cents in 2009. The housing market analogy doesn't really apply.

Like it or not we're in the midst of a transition to digital currency - the "internet of money". Lots of people are understandably salty about it for various reasons. It may not be Bitcoin that we're transacting among one another in ten years from now, but the need for cryptocurrency and blockchain tech will always exist, and is here to stay.

Last edited:
"Everyone" knows this is a bubble? Funny I didn't get that memo, but I swear I've been hearing "Bitcoin is a bubble" every day since it was .008 cents in 2009. The housing market analogy doesn't really apply.

Like it or not we're in the midst of a transition to digital currency - the "internet of money". Lots of people are understandably salty about it for various reasons. It may not be Bitcoin that we're transacting among one another in ten years from now, but the need for cryptocurrency and blockchain tech will always exist, and is here to stay.

I've always viewed Bitcoin as a global currency. The ability to purchase on the dark web was nice...

First, it could've been called a bubble, but now I see it as a Rogue Wave. There's things we do know about Bitcoin: 1) Bitcoin will eventually crest over the wave and start falling drastically 2) No one knows where the top is. Unless you've got the ability to see the future, or know all the variables at play 3) There will be a point where there's no more coins printed.

I'm salty because I didn't do what I had wanted to, and was talked out of it. I'm sure I mined a few coins back in the day, too. And then put that ontop of my current living situation - well. Bitter is probably the best word :)

But onto the main topic: Coinbase is now a huge target for hacking. Button up ya'll security.

Last edited:
I've always viewed Bitcoin as a global currency. The ability to purchase on the dark web was nice...

First, it could've been called a bubble, but now I see it as a Rogue Wave. There's things we do know about Bitcoin: 1) Bitcoin will eventually crest over the wave and start falling drastically 2) No one knows where the top is. Unless you've got the ability to see the future, or know all the variables at play 3) There will be a point where there's no more coins printed.

I'm salty because I didn't do what I had wanted to, and was talked out of it. I'm sure I mined a few coins back in the day, too. And then put that ontop of my current living situation - well. Bitter is probably the best word :)

But onto the main topic: Coinbase is now a huge target for hacking. Button up ya'll security.

Coinbase and gdax are insured. Not many exchanges are. Still protect yourself.

Coinbase and gdax are insured. Not many exchanges are. Still protect yourself.

If anything I've learned reading about all of the hacks that happen around Bitcoin. Most people need to think about their security a lot more. Hackers want your coins.

now is the time to invest some of that BTC into other alt coins, so when the bubble pops, again, you can buy cheap, ride the wave and diversify even more... I now am in Monero and Ripple pretty good thanks to this recent BTC moon ride...

$100 doesn't matter to much when its 15k a coin
Sure it does, it only cost me 4.99 to trade several thousand shares of T (approximate value of a little over 4 coins) and that cost is a flat fee for any number of shares.

One of the purported advantages of the technology is to *reduce* transaction costs. So 20x that does not sound like a reduced cost.

Back