Co-worker is asking me what's the best way to copy files from a work computer?

Circumnavigate

Limp Gawd
Hey my co-workers told me that they copy files to drop box from the work computer and that's how they get around the security measures installed by IT.

Does this sound like a good way for him to copy the files without triggering some sort of windows file transfer security the employer put in place?

I was telling him I thought he would be better off unplugging the ethernet cable from the computer, booting into a Linux flash drive and copying the files to a USB.

What do you guys think?

yeah dont do that...
hackers-stupid.gif

Hey my co-workers told me that they copy files to drop box from the work computer and that's how they get around the security measures installed by IT.

Does this sound like a good way for him to copy the files without triggering some sort of windows file transfer security the employer put in place?

I was telling him I thought he would be better off unplugging the ethernet cable from the computer, booting into a Linux flash drive and copying the files to a USB.

What do you guys think?
Hey, your company is deliberately bypassing corporate security measures. That could be a reason for this guy to get his ass fired out of the company. if the company learns that you knew about this file copying and did nothing, you might also get fired. Do you have any idea why this co-worker needs to copy off these files? Does he work with sensitive engineering or marketing/sales data?

You should tell him that he has no business copying these files. If he tries to justify his actions, you should speak with your boss. Yeah, you would be a "snitch" but you would also be protecting your company and your job.

Hey, your company is deliberately bypassing corporate security measures. That could be a reason for this guy to get his ass fired out of the company. if the company learns that you knew about this file copying and did nothing, you might also get fired. Do you have any idea why this co-worker needs to copy off these files? Does he work with sensitive engineering or marketing/sales data?

You should tell him that he has no business copying these files. If he tries to justify his actions, you should speak with your boss. Yeah, you would be a "snitch" but you would also be protecting your company and your job.

Hey guys thanks for the responses. So what's going on is it's a game studio that is laying off 30% of the employees and all of the artists are scrambling to take screen shots of all the work they did before they get laid off. I guess your not supposed to do that but it seems artists in this industry chose to do it any ways because they say it's not fair that you can never show your work to anyone in the future.

We have the fat guy that smells like pickle juice come in and do all this for us.

(gov't PC)

Hey guys thanks for the responses. So what's going on is it's a game studio that is laying off 30% of the employees and all of the artists are scrambling to take screen shots of all the work they did before they get laid off. I guess your not supposed to do that but it seems artists in this industry chose to do it any ways because they say it's not fair that you can never show your work to anyone in the future.
that work belongs to the company, they are stealing IP...
sounds like a bunch of you need to re-read your contracts.

You have to ask yourself who else has "this guy" talked to. Then there's the fact you then came here and told the world. /SMH ... There's an old saying. "The only way two people can keep a secret is if one of them is dead." It's the same principle as reducing your attack surface. Basically, don't involve others in wrong doing if you expect not to get caught.

Let me "clarify" for you. The artists can always point to their work in games that have been released. That's not the issue. The issue is unpublished work.

Here is the deal, The people being laid off (or "redundant" for our UK friends) no longer have the expectation that they need to work insane hours to make a deadline. On the other hand, they still need to honor any NDAs they have signed, to protect the company's IP. The IP belongs to the company, not the individual artists.

I've been there, been laid off more than once, Occupational hazard when you work for startups/small companies in Silicon Valley.

The artists can always point to their work in games that have been released. That's not the issue. The issue is unpublished work.
One can imagine that the game will be, released
1) A while after they have been left off, they need a portfolio now (as they are already looking for a new job now)
2) Can be harder to make a nice presentation from in game screenshot footage, versus the original z-brush that was made, then the low poly game asset from it, the distinct texture channels.

It can obviously an issue for an artist for both the quality of the portfolio and the time it is available to not have access to asset, which is a different question obviously than what they agreed for and the stated consequence for it.

One can imagine that the game will be, released
1) A while after they have been left off, they need a portfolio now (as they are already looking for a new job now)
2) Can be harder to make a nice presentation from in game screenshot footage, versus the original z-brush that was made, then the low poly game asset from it, the distinct texture channels.

It can obviously an issue for an artist for both the quality of the portfolio and the time it is available to not have access to asset, which is a different question obviously than what they agreed for and the stated consequence for it.
This is all a legal question, not a technical one. Getting access to the works is not the issue--it is the legality of such access and how use/distribution of that work is restricted. Those guys should read their contracts. If they are allowed to use these works for their portfolio, they should be granted access to it or should lawyer up so they can the terms enforced.

Otherwise, if it's a free for all, then it won't matter if there's any 'windows file transfer security the employer put in place' because it's a free for all.

If they are allowed to use these works for their portfolio, they should be granted access to it or should lawyer up so they can the terms enforced.
That would be quite the trouble, I would add if it is not granted (I would imagine that boiler plate contract will just never allow anything by default) you can always ask instead of trying to do it by sneaky backdoor, I imagine a lot of employer outthere will be happy to help just fired artist with recommendation letter and using what they did in their portfolio, lifting the contract close for them.

That would be quite the trouble, I would add if it is not granted (I would imagine that boiler plate contract will just never allow anything by default) you can always ask instead of trying to do it by sneaky backdoor, I imagine a lot of employer outthere will be happy to help just fired artist with recommendation letter and using what they did in their portfolio, lifting the contract close for them.
It might be quite the trouble, but they can then allege all sorts of damages in terms of not getting employment ($$$).

As far as modifying the terms of the contract, even if an employer agrees when asked, unless it is in writing and specifically amending the agreement (which should also have a clause that it can be amended), then again the employee still is at risk.

It might be quite the trouble, but they can then allege all sorts of damages in terms of not getting employment ($$$).

As far as modifying the terms of the contract, even if an employer agrees when asked, unless it is in writing and specifically amending the agreement (which should also have a clause that it can be amended), then again the employee still is at risk.
Americans sound a bit crazy to me.

Americans sound a bit crazy to me.
It's called law and order. It's what allows people to live in relative peace because it's in writing and you either agree to it or you don't. If you agree to something and then want to back out, that's called breech of contract and has its own repercussions under law. This isn't uncommon though--the western world runs like this, and the other side...well, they're still 'developing nations'.

What do they do in your part of the world?
In my part of the world, access to laws is quite complicated and would not come to mind very often, it is extremely rare (I never heard an actual case, sometime talk of it) but we usually sign contract without looking too much and not caring that much.
Also and I imagine the same in the US, oral contract are perfectly valid contract.

Where are you from? Basic contracts are pretty typical everywhere to enforce law and order.
Contract are the norm, actually going into the trouble with lawyer and stuff..... for work relation situation, I am not sure anywhere else in the world get close to that type of mentality:
https://capitalism.columbia.edu/con...ericas-lawsuit-culture-undermines-our-freedom

That level of legal fear is not the international norm, according to this:
http://www.law.harvard.edu/programs/olin_center/papers/pdf/Ramseyer_681.pdf

Anglo-Saxon and more so USA has about 4 time the suits per 100,000 people than Canada and 15 times more lawyers per 100,000 (and much cheaper cost to enforce contract via the law in part for that reason I imagine).

For example if an employer would tell a fired employee in Canada, for sure go ahead take as many screenshots that you want for your portfolio, I doubt it would come to mind to many (if any) that it would be risky thing to do if they do not have a paper proof of it, what kind of sick person would ever sue that employee later on.

Last edited:
I have no moral qualms with what they are doing because approx 5/6 projects at this company just got canned. So these artists spent years working on these projects only for everything to get canned b/c of a buy out/take over. If they don't archive the art work they created it will be lost in the ether forever and never see the light of day.

I have no moral qualms with what they are doing because approx 5/6 projects at this company just got canned. So these artists spent years working on these projects only for everything to get canned b/c of a buy out/take over. If they don't archive the art work they created it will be lost in the ether forever and never see the light of day.
I am not a lawyer, but that sounds like company property to me, not theirs.

I say they should steal the work, transfer the files and do what they want with it. Provided its use isnt detrimentally to the company. Which for most art really shouldnt be.

if an nft was easily obtained it wouldnt have the value or uniqueness, givin the art asset is not heavily protected I advocate taking it and running.

The contracts agreed upon for employment are not fair honest deals. Does an employee have a army of lawyers and the bargaining advantage required for a fair deal? No. They are often taken advantage of and just nod their head and smile to get a paycheck.

Now I wouldnt exactly get involved if I had no stakes, but if the artist values their work from an personal, non commercial, standpoint. I'd advocate them thefting some bytes.

If it was a buyout/takeover, is the previous employer contract (or whatever, assuming there was one) even valid anymore?

Since these buyouts/takeovers are usually to benefit the capital adventure company and screw the employees, my opinion has changed. I change my vote to help them out and piss on the company.

To boot the company did that thing where they tell everyone "don't worry everyone gets to keep their job" and then proceed to lay off 30% of the entire company shortly after. Absolute scumfuckery.

In my part of the world, access to laws is quite complicated and would not come to mind very often, it is extremely rare (I never heard an actual case, sometime talk of it) but we usually sign contract without looking too much and not caring that much.
Also and I imagine the same in the US, oral contract are perfectly valid contract.

Contract are the norm, actually going into the trouble with lawyer and stuff..... for work relation situation, I am not sure anywhere else in the world get close to that type of mentality:
https://capitalism.columbia.edu/con...ericas-lawsuit-culture-undermines-our-freedom

That level of legal fear is not the international norm, according to this:
http://www.law.harvard.edu/programs/olin_center/papers/pdf/Ramseyer_681.pdf

Anglo-Saxon and more so USA has about 4 time the suits per 100,000 people than Canada and 15 times more lawyers per 100,000 (and much cheaper cost to enforce contract via the law in part for that reason I imagine).

For example if an employer would tell a fired employee in Canada, for sure go ahead take as many screenshots that you want for your portfolio, I doubt it would come to mind to many (if any) that it would be risky thing to do if they do not have a paper proof of it, what kind of sick person would ever sue that employee later on.
What you're describing sounds like a third world dump vs Canada. I'll have to check with my friends and relatives there if access to the law is as contorted as you're making it out to be. I guess if you're illegal it might be harder, but then that's a problem too...

When you're making art (or contracts, or code, or anything else) for someone else it generally doesn't matter if it sees the light of day since it's not up to the creator what happens to it.

I say they should steal the work, transfer the files and do what they want with it. Provided its use isnt detrimentally to the company. Which for most art really shouldnt be.

if an nft was easily obtained it wouldnt have the value or uniqueness, givin the art asset is not heavily protected I advocate taking it and running.

The contracts agreed upon for employment are not fair honest deals. Does an employee have a army of lawyers and the bargaining advantage required for a fair deal? No. They are often taken advantage of and just nod their head and smile to get a paycheck.

Now I wouldnt exactly get involved if I had no stakes, but if the artist values their work from an personal, non commercial, standpoint. I'd advocate them thefting some bytes.
Everyone has a choice when signing a contract and making an agreement. There's no force involved, especially in employment. Don't like the company? Go make your own. Can't do that? Learn now.

If it was a buyout/takeover, is the previous employer contract (or whatever, assuming there was one) even valid anymore?

Since these buyouts/takeovers are usually to benefit the capital adventure company and screw the employees, my opinion has changed. I change my vote to help them out and piss on the company.
Usually the contracts are 'assignable' so yes, they're still valid. Hell, even most web site terms of service have a 'assignable' clause.

To boot the company did that thing where they tell everyone "don't worry everyone gets to keep their job" and then proceed to lay off 30% of the entire company shortly after. Absolute scumfuckery.
First rule of business (now that there are no ethics anymore), if it's not in writing, it's not true.

What do you think a potential future employer will think when you show them work from an unreleased game under NDA?
And if it isn't under NDA and all they want is screenshots just email them to their personal email. The IT policy isn't going to stop that.

What do you think a potential future employer will think when you show them work from an unreleased game under NDA?
That's an easy one to answer. You won't get any more interviews, let alone the job offer.

And if it isn't under NDA and all they want is screenshots just email them to their personal email. The IT policy isn't going to stop that.

Or else, tell them about a game that has been released, and describe your work.

Sounds like the company is getting rid of the right kind of people. Sometimes its very difficult to figure out which are the shady ones, but looks like they figured it out just fine. Ive been laid off twice, it happens, sometimes its a good business idea and sometimes it isn't. The entitlement of people is crazy, just because you made a thing does not mean you own it. Having to deal with IP theft here i honestly hope the company pursues every legal means they can to go after these scumbag former workers.

What do you guys think?
I'd recommend that if someone were doing this, that they should conceal the files that are being moved. For example, put the files in a zip file and split them into parts and completely rename them (and remove the file type). There's risk, but if someone felt like their work is going to waste, then I don't blame them, because companies are often shitty and capitalism in general is always shitty. I don't blame your coworkers for gettinng away with whatever they can because these companies often try to get away with whatever they can.

Obviously if the assets are technically owned by the company and these same assets show up elsewhere, then you'll have a problem. I wouldn't rat out your coworker, unless you're some kind of shitty ladder-climbing sociopath who likes to throw fellow workers under the bus for your own benefit.

...shitty ladder-climbing sociopath who likes to throw fellow workers under the bus for your own benefit.
Sounds like almost everyone that I've encountered in leadership roles in corporate america...

While competition is a good thing, when you tie it to someone's livelihood it turns into the hunger games...

Back