CM11 - Dialer really unstable on SGS4

Nimisys

Fully [H]
I don't know if the issue is CM11 (running latest milestone) or something within Android, but the fucking dialer is going to be the death of this phone. it works fine, as long as you don't need to use the keypad function or the speakerphone function, or see the screen once you pull it away from the side of your head. try any of those, and it will lock up the dialer. no key input, unable to turn off speaker phone, unable to end a call, screen won't come on unless you go to the home screen. so fucking frustrated with it, I almost threw it across the parking lot yesterday. Every dialer I have tried in the play store seems to default back to this POS. is this something baked into CM11, and if so, what rom should I go to that will provide real stability?

Try something from Team Paranoid. I would recommend them over Cyanogen purely based on Cyanogen's reputation... Also, which carrier variant do you have? Just out of curiosity.

I don't know if the issue is CM11 (running latest milestone) or something within Android, but the fucking dialer is going to be the death of this phone. it works fine, as long as you don't need to use the keypad function or the speakerphone function, or see the screen once you pull it away from the side of your head. try any of those, and it will lock up the dialer. no key input, unable to turn off speaker phone, unable to end a call, screen won't come on unless you go to the home screen. so fucking frustrated with it, I almost threw it across the parking lot yesterday. Every dialer I have tried in the play store seems to default back to this POS. is this something baked into CM11, and if so, what rom should I go to that will provide real stability?

Have you tried a CM12 nightly instead or a newer CM11 nightly? Nightly builds aren't evil. ;)

Try something from Team Paranoid. I would recommend them over Cyanogen purely based on Cyanogen's reputation... Also, which carrier variant do you have? Just out of curiosity.

What reputation is that pray tell? Nothing about CyanogenMod has changed since Cyanogen Inc came into being.

Can you put a GPE ROM on it? Would probably be more stable/reliable with that. I would say put the stock ROM back on it, but my wife has a stock Verizon GS4 and it's garbage, esp. in battery life. I can't wait to replace that POS, it's a night and day diff from my One M8.

Well crap, looks like the dialer is built in the jflte. son of a bitch. Paranoid Android has the same issue.

really missing my 928 right now

Are you using the right ROM, jfltevzw and not jflte? Snapshot is old. I'd try a CM12 nightly first then maybe CM12.1. Be selective with gapps too since some have issues. Paranoid Android gapps nano seem to be well behaved so far.

http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=jfltevzw

http://www.androidrootz.com/?m=1

Also, make sure you use CM's CWM recovery and wipe cache/dalvik/data/system partitions. I think I just found the culprit for my CM12 battery drain is TWRP recovery. Otherwise, CM12 is nearly perfect with only a few minors like adding a secondary Google account makes it primary, in-browser video skip forward/back doesn't work and clicking on a link that opens a new tab stops flick scrolling from working (manually long press and open in new tab does work). Using Chrome beta instead but CM browser flies and probably the fastest mobile browser I've seen on any mobile device.

Last edited:
Gave the 12.1 4/23 Nightly ten days. dialer worked for outgoing calls, but wouldn't display incoming calls. better. Data connection with VZW would dropout for hours at a time. not good. Process.Android.Phone crashes nearly daily. annoying. DLing the latest nightly now.

is this a normal experience with ROMs, going through a punch of different ones until you find one mostly stable where all the main things mostly work?

Gave the 12.1 4/23 Nightly ten days. dialer worked for outgoing calls, but wouldn't display incoming calls. better. Data connection with VZW would dropout for hours at a time. not good. Process.Android.Phone crashes nearly daily. annoying. DLing the latest nightly now.

is this a normal experience with ROMs, going through a punch of different ones until you find one mostly stable where all the main things mostly work?

You're very atypical. How are you loading the CM12.1 nightly? Factory reset then install ROM?

Are you loading any data back into the new ROM with something like Titanium Backup?

Cwm recovery. Wipe everything. Load nightly via sdcard, wipe cache, load gapps, wipe cache. Fix root, restart.

Can you put a GPE ROM on it? Would probably be more stable/reliable with that.

Did you not see my post above?

I wouldn't bother with anything besides a stock ROM (or one based on stock) or the GPE ROM if you want something that works properly and more reliably.

Did you not see my post above?

I wouldn't bother with anything besides a stock ROM (or one based on stock) or the GPE ROM if you want something that works properly and more reliably.

I did see it, you want to point me to vzw compatible version? I found international versions, but the vzw version is a different hardware model

I don't have those issues but I'm on a Note II. The only issue is after I install a new nightly and format cache and wipe dalvik cache, mobile LTE data doesn't work until I go into APN, select the default 'VZWINTERNET' APN and choose save then it restores LTE data.

Suggestion is make sure you wipe everything correctly before installing rom and gapps.

Move your rom and gapps files to sdcard1 and make sure you can access sdcard1 from cwm recovery before proceeding.

Use file manager to delete all the system folders on internal storage and sdcard1 except for things you want to keep like pictures, videos, screenshots, documents, downloads, etc.

Boot into cwm recovery and from 'mounts and storage' menu format system, cache and data. From advanced menu wipe dalvik cache.

Then install rom and gapps.

Don't fix root even though it should still work.

Set up as new and save APN as mentioned above.

Once you're on CM12.1 when you install a new CM12.1 nightly make sure to format cache, wipe dalvik and save APN.

Last edited:
I don't have those issues but I'm on a Note II. The only issue is after I install a new nightly and format cache and wipe dalvik cache, mobile LTE data doesn't work until I go into APN, select the default 'VZWINTERNET' APN and choose save then it restores LTE data.

Suggestion is make sure you wipe everything correctly before installing rom and gapps.

Move your rom and gapps files to sdcard1 and make sure you can access sdcard1 from cwm recovery before proceeding.

Use file manager to delete all the system folders on internal storage and sdcard1 except for things you want to keep like pictures, videos, screenshots, documents, downloads, etc.

Boot into cwm recovery and from 'mounts and storage' menu format system, cache and data. From advanced menu wipe dalvik cache.

Then install rom and gapps.

Don't fix root even though it should still work.

Set up as new and save APN as mentioned above.

Once you're on CM12.1 when you install a new CM12.1 nightly make sure to format cache, wipe dalvik and save APN.

i will try this after work tonight.

Back