CM HAF XM Size Comparison

Limp Gawd
I have the original 932 and totally like it. I've had it for about three years. My daughter has a bit of a hand-me-down PC that I've upgraded piece by piece. She has a mid-tower Antec case that is made of decent material, but I'd like to upgrade someday. It has poor airflow. The case used to be my dad's and he had a few component failures that happened sooner than they should have. My suspicion is heat. Anyway, since I like my HAF 932 a lot but my daughter only has one hard drive and a smaller desk, I have my eye on the HAF XM. I'm confused about the dimensions. When I compare them to the 932 or the full-size X, the XM isn't much smaller. It's like, an inch shorter. Really?! How does one inch shorter than my monster case make it a mid-tower? My case is so huge that I'd still call it a full tower if it was an inch shorter! I even plugged the dimensions into this sizing aid site and the XM was barely smaller than the 932 or the X. Am I doing something wrong?

Well going by the measurements on newegg they are very close in size. So I don't think your wrong.
I'm not exactly sure what the differences are between a Full vs Mid towers.
I know a 932 and the X are basically the same frame with just different plastic snapped to them.

Well going by the measurements on newegg they are very close in size. So I don't think your wrong.
I'm not exactly sure what the differences are between a Full vs Mid towers.
I know a 932 and the X are basically the same frame with just different plastic snapped to them.

The difference is the fan shroud. The XM is a lot shorter than the X. I have built machines on both and the X looks and feels gigantic. The XM seems like a weird midget to it. Its deeper (front to back) than both, and actually deeper than tall. Its as wide as an X, which is basically the same as a 932. Just about 4 inches shorter. 2 inches shorter than a 932. The dimensions are screwed up on Neweggs site. The XM has the hieght last but the 932 and X have the height first. It's also internally designed more as a mid tower. Part of it's size is the fact that is supports the same size top fans that sit outside the chasis but under a shroud that the X does, taking up a much larger portion of the size of the computer than the X. Something the 932 is missing altogether. The XM really is more of a tall mid tower than a full tower, but spec wise it doesn't show. I think it is something that has to be seen. Maybe there is a reviewer nice enough to line them up together.

As for the use case you are looking for. Just it's depth alone. I wouldn't recommend it, its still a burly beast, just more of a baby X which is gigantic in it's own right. If you are truly looking at a smaller case look at the 922 advanced. Best way to put it is if you put the XM on it's back its as tall as the 932.

Last edited:
Thanks, Topweasel. That was very helpful. I wanted to go the 922 Advanced route to begin with but couldn't find it on Amazon. I don't remember if I looked on Newegg or not. That's why I started looking at the XM. Again, great information. Thanks.

Back