Clocking Crucial 8500 Ballistix right on an ASUS P5B-Deluxe?

Cantroy

Lurker
I'm somewhat annoyed by my motherboard showing pc-4300 by default. I finally have it showing 6400, but I admit to being mildly confused by what the timings SHOULD be by default on my motherboard for this RAM, and then I'd like to know what I might safely tamper with to overclock it a slight amount.

I am running a c2d6600 at 3.25 right now, so I know my CPU is nicely done on air, but the memory seems to be a bit tricky.

Anyone out there with a similar setup able to give me some help on this?

The stock for this is 5-5-5-15 @ DDR2-1066 with 2.2v. Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 is specified to do 4-4-4-12 @ DDR2-800 with 2.2v. All Crucial Ballistix has either Micron D9GMH, D9GKX or D9GCT ICs, so any Ballistix should be fine at the same speed an voltages specified for any other Ballistix kit. If you are fine with the memory at DDR2-800 you could try tightening the timings at that speed. You should be able to reach 3-3-3-8 at stock voltage with that, or you could try raising the speed up by setting a different memory divider and try seeing what timings you can achieve at the faster speed. You shouldn't run into many issues if you never over-volt the ram and 2.2v is a decently high value for voltage already.

Back