Clear Sky + Steam question

Guys, is anything but Static Lighting not supposed to work in Windows XP ?

I get black textures on every other option, I was sure I was getting Full when I first installed :(.

Well I never tried DX10 on the Geforce GTX 280 SLI setup. I upped that at the same time I added the third card back in for 3-Way SLI. Since that went in and I upped my settings I found better performance than I got off of two cards.

I have the game loaded in DX10 and pretty much maximum settings as far as I can tell, no AA though. 1920 X 1200.

My dual 4870 X2s are performing brilliantly.
The game looks great. The first few minutes at the start of the game, all I did was look out the windows.....beautiful.

Anyway, I haven't run fraps or anything but I get no hiccups or slideshows.

Truth be told, I was sweating a little after my struggles with Crysis. This game is smooth so far. I just think Crysis doesn't like ATI.

The game is a little confusing so far, and hard. Man you really can't rambo anybody or it's over.

Guys, is anything but Static Lighting not supposed to work in Windows XP ?

I get black textures on every other option, I was sure I was getting Full when I first installed :(.

You should have all lighting options. I am running full dynamic right now.

I have the game loaded in DX10 and pretty much maximum settings as far as I can tell, no AA though. 1920 X 1200.

My dual 4870 X2s are performing brilliantly.
The game looks great. The first few minutes at the start of the game, all I did was look out the windows.....beautiful.

Anyway, I haven't run fraps or anything but I get no hiccups or slideshows.

Truth be told, I was sweating a little after my struggles with Crysis. This game is smooth so far. I just think Crysis doesn't like ATI.

The game is a little confusing so far, and hard. Man you really can't rambo anybody or it's over.

Well S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky supposedly prefers ATI hardware. Crysis does hate ATI hardware and always has. NVIDIA hardware isn't as bad at S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky as ATI hardware is at Crysis which is fortunate for me in that my Geforce GTX 280 OC 3-Way SLI is actually running the game quite well.

NVIDIA hardware isn't as bad at S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky as ATI hardware is at Crysis which is fortunate for me in that my Geforce GTX 280 OC 3-Way SLI is actually running the game quite well.

Just quite well? It should be blazing on 3-Way SLI though..

I was reading the Guru3D charts on Clear Sky and they say they were using 8.8's and it looks as though there is not a Crossfire profile for Clear Sky. They showed a single 4870 outperforming the X2. Is this correct as far as you guys can see?

Just quite well? It should be blazing on 3-Way SLI though..

Well it handles 2560x1600 with the settings on maximum detail with relative ease. I have noticed slowdowns at times for no reason. Reloading a savegame takes care of that. So I don't think its' a driver issue.

Seems it was AA Compatibily from Nvidia Control Panel.

All good now but I dont have any AA.

Someone answer me a dumb question. How do you throw a bolt? I either skipped through the tutorial on how to do it, or they never really said how. i.e. push 0 to throw a bolt, and the options->controls don't do much for me either.

EDIT: nm, its 6. Now if I can just find those dang artifacts.

I just downloaded and installed it.

Anyone else have trouble running on directX 10 with a 4870x2?

It runs fine in directX 9, but when I try to switch to 10 it's like the game is running in "windowed" mode, but in full screen.

My cursor cant access all the options in the main screen, and every 3rd or 4th time I try to run it the game I get a corrupted intro and main screen.

Pretty annoying.

Even tried the 8.9 beta drivers, no dice.

Got it off steam, fully patched, obviously.

Any ideas?

Besides waiting for the 3rd patch in 3 days....of course :)

thanks
dave

It loads fast enough for me. Like 15sec or less.

Total load time is around 1min 20 sec with DX10 and 20 - 30 seconds for DX9 mode. Hmm, not sure what's wrong apart from DX10 mode having to load more textures in.

I have tried it with an 8800gtx at 1650x1050. I have to have it set to medium detail with dx10 lighting.

I have tried it with an 8800gtx at 1650x1050. I have to have it set to medium detail with dx10 lighting.

I complained a few pages ago that 1680x1050 on high and just object lighting was low teens on the fps. Someone suggested checking out the swamp to see if runs better... and it does... a LOT better. Perhaps it's just the abundance of NPCs there?

Anyway, I get these random slowdowns like Dan mentioned a few posts up. Reloading a saved game fixes it. But hopefully I won't have to go through the entire game doing this.

Will new patches in Clear Sky be compatible with old saved games unlike the original Stalker?

Someone answer me a dumb question. How do you throw a bolt? I either skipped through the tutorial on how to do it, or they never really said how. i.e. push 0 to throw a bolt, and the options->controls don't do much for me either.

EDIT: nm, its 6. Now if I can just find those dang artifacts.

I don't know if you get a tutorial only if you select the easiest difficulty or something. I started on the second or third hardest so I'm not sure there is one. I didn't own the original so I had to ask a friend who owned the first game. Actually, he saw me playing it on steam and told me to die cause I had it and he didn't lol.

Speaking of, of those people who play through on the hardest, or second to the hardest do any of ya'll go through the game the first time on easy or even medium first? Since I started playing multiplayer FPS a long time ago, I always choose the hardest or second to hardest difficulty first.

I complained a few pages ago that 1680x1050 on high and just object lighting was low teens on the fps. Someone suggested checking out the swamp to see if runs better... and it does... a LOT better. Perhaps it's just the abundance of NPCs there?

Anyway, I get these random slowdowns like Dan mentioned a few posts up. Reloading a saved game fixes it. But hopefully I won't have to go through the entire game doing this.

Will new patches in Clear Sky be compatible with old saved games unlike the original Stalker?

so if you want the pretty, an 8800gtx isn't going to cut it (can anything?)

LOL

I'm following Ghost into Dark Valley and I have a mission to talk to the outpost commander and he is dead on the ground..........well, at least I think that is his body exactly where the red circle says he should be.

All I keep is the autosave and the quick save so I'm screwed. I just can't bring myself to start all over...................................

Oh well. Off to some Warhead!!

LOL

I'm following Ghost into Dark Valley and I have a mission to talk to the outpost commander and he is dead on the ground..........well, at least I think that is his body exactly where the red circle says he should be.

All I keep is the autosave and the quick save so I'm screwed. I just can't bring myself to start all over...................................

Oh well. Off to some Warhead!!

I currently have 51 saves. I never have to go too far back if I make a mistake or the game screws up. I learned the first time. :cool:

I currently have 51 saves. I never have to go too far back if I make a mistake or the game screws up. I learned the first time. :cool:

Yea.......first time I played SOC I would actually make named saves every so often but I found I never needed them. With THIS game, you need them.

I'm still gonna put it down for a while. I'm getting wicked bad random fps slowdowns. I've posted over at Clear Sky forums, Steam Stalker forums and in a few threads here at the [H] kinda fishin to see if anybody knows anything but..........people post the question but nobody ever posts the answer.

Some say it is a memory leak but I don't understand how that can only effect some systems and not others. It does however effect a variety of chipsets, OS's and both Nvidia and ATI video cards based on the posts I've seen with the same problem so.............I'll try again with the 8.9's or another patch.

I'm so sad about it cause I am a Stalker freak........It's my favorite game in a long long time and I can't play it. Well, not without having to type vid_restart in the console every 5 freakin minutes.

I was reading the Guru3D charts on Clear Sky and they say they were using 8.8's and it looks as though there is not a Crossfire profile for Clear Sky. They showed a single 4870 outperforming the X2. Is this correct as far as you guys can see?

That 4870 they have must be nuclear powered.:eek:

My Crossfired X2s are running the game pretty much full tilt at 19 X 12. I can't believe they aren't working after reading about chugging with single 4870s in other posts.

I have the 8.54 beta installed and as far as I can tell the Crossfire is working.

The game is beautiful, but I'm kinda lost in the swamp with my head up my ass. I've been killed more times in this one level than I was in the entire game of SOC.:eek:
I need a submachine gun or at least a chainsaw.

I just downloaded and installed it.

Anyone else have trouble running on directX 10 with a 4870x2?

It runs fine in directX 9, but when I try to switch to 10 it's like the game is running in "windowed" mode, but in full screen.

My cursor cant access all the options in the main screen, and every 3rd or 4th time I try to run it the game I get a corrupted intro and main screen.

Pretty annoying.

Even tried the 8.9 beta drivers, no dice.

Got it off steam, fully patched, obviously.

Any ideas?

Besides waiting for the 3rd patch in 3 days....of course :)

thanks
dave

I work around this by going into Options and click on Use on the graphics options and it usually corrects itself. You may be able to go into the console (~) and typing vid_restart? I think thats the command...

Yea.......first time I played SOC I would actually make named saves every so often but I found I never needed them. With THIS game, you need them.

I'm still gonna put it down for a while. I'm getting wicked bad random fps slowdowns. I've posted over at Clear Sky forums, Steam Stalker forums and in a few threads here at the [H] kinda fishin to see if anybody knows anything but..........people post the question but nobody ever posts the answer.

Some say it is a memory leak but I don't understand how that can only effect some systems and not others. It does however effect a variety of chipsets, OS's and both Nvidia and ATI video cards based on the posts I've seen with the same problem so.............I'll try again with the 8.9's or another patch.

I'm so sad about it cause I am a Stalker freak........It's my favorite game in a long long time and I can't play it. Well, not without having to type vid_restart in the console every 5 freakin minutes.

I just number my saves as 001, 002, 010 etc.

I've been looking forward to this game for a while. However it seems that theres still a lot of kinks to be worked out, just like SOC. I guess I will wait a few weeks.

I just number my saves as 001, 002, 010 etc.

I was gonna say.... did you actually go and count all your saved games for us? :D

I should start doing it this way. The way I've been doing it is the first word that comes to my mind for whatever situation I am. i.e. "cemetery", "almost dead", "tough as shit"

I was gonna say.... did you actually go and count all your saved games for us? :D

I should start doing it this way. The way I've been doing it is the first word that comes to my mind for whatever situation I am. i.e. "cemetery", "almost dead", "tough as shit"

It's easy this way. It prevents me from having to go back too far if I die. I save all the time. In tough situations I sometimes save after every kill in a given area.

I work around this by going into Options and click on Use on the graphics options and it usually corrects itself. You may be able to go into the console (~) and typing vid_restart? I think thats the command...

Awsome, I'll try it as soon as I get home. This isn't the only game I've had this problem on, crysis, COH, and now stalker cs all run in a windowed mode under full screen on directX 10. The game seems to start up in window mode, switch to full screen then on the menu and in game, the cursor won't move past the "invisable window". Freakin weird.

I'm downloading warhead as we speak and I'm hoping for the best.

Dxdiag says everything is tip top, latest drivers for 4870x2, service pack 1 on visa 64. I don't have a clue what's causing it or how to fix it but it's a pretty shitty deal to have to run directx 9 on a 4870x2 or I can't play :(

-dave

It's easy this way. It prevents me from having to go back too far if I die. I save all the time. In tough situations I sometimes save after every kill in a given area.

i did this from time to time in SoC, but it really breaks the immersion of the game. tough for me to enjoy the atmospheric side of STALKER if i'm exiting out to the main menu to save every 30 seconds.

i did this from time to time in SoC, but it really breaks the immersion of the game. tough for me to enjoy the atmospheric side of STALKER if i'm exiting out to the main menu to save every 30 seconds.

In SOC, just do a quick save F6 and quick load F7, your screen will freeze for about a second while it writes the save file to the disk, but it's much better than dealing with menus.

That was one of the first things I remapped in Clear Sky, (they changed the default layout). The only thing I hate now is that you can't quick load after you've already died in Clear Sky like you could in SOC.

The only thing I hate now is that you can't quick load after you've already died in Clear Sky like you could in SOC.

Right??

What a pain in the ass....

Love the game though and I "think" I've solved my random fps drop problem.

I'll know more later tonight.

In SOC, just do a quick save F6 and quick load F7, your screen will freeze for about a second while it writes the save file to the disk, but it's much better than dealing with menus.

i use quicksave all the time but it only rewrites your "quicksave" file. if you happen to hit quicksave 2 seconds before you die youre SOL. to avoid this situation, you create multiple save game files (not quicksave) which requires you to exit to the main menu. same theory applies to clear sky.

Wow I get owned just starting the Cordon, wtf is up with those machine guns, I cant go anywhere.

Wow I get owned just starting the Cordon, wtf is up with those machine guns, I cant go anywhere.

I had to run away (to the east of the gun position) and use the hills as cover. If you do it right you can avoid the military patrol and keep from getting shot.

I had to run away (to the east of the gun position) and use the hills as cover. If you do it right you can avoid the military patrol and keep from getting shot.

Or just go north and avoid the entire thing completely;) Remember those blue arrows take you to different area's. ;)

Ahh yes I went the other way around and blasted some stalkers on the way hehe.

I was trying to kill the military patrol for about an hour, and then I realized that its impossible :D

Back