Class Action Hard Drive Lawsuit

is a GB 1024 or 1000

http://www.harddrive-settlement.com/notice.htm

Class action lawsuit against Seagate for misrepresenting usuable storage. I personally believe this is frivolous and blaten incompetence.

Hard drive manufacturers have set a standard that has been set for as long as the industry has existed, they shouldn't be sued for it.

A gigabyte or Gbyte (derived from the SI prefix giga-) is a unit of information or computer storage meaning either 1000³ bytes or 1024³ bytes (1000³ = one billion). The usage of the word "gigabyte" is ambiguous, depending on the context. When referring to RAM sizes and file sizes, it traditionally has a binary definition, of 1024³ bytes. For every other use, it means exactly 1000³ bytes. In order to address this confusion, currently all relevant standards bodies promote the use of the term "gibibyte" for the binary definition.

For a non-tech savy person it is mis-representation or false advertisement. I think the best way to avoid these hassles is if they started to print the formatted space on their label.

There was a class action lawsuit vs. WD a few years back. All what I could have gotten is some backup software through digital download. Of course the lawyers probably got a few million in fees.

GB is 1000, GiB is 1024. Windows incorrectly says GB instead of GiB when reporting the size of data.

If I file the claim and receive 5% of what I paid, I will receive $6 !!!

Back