CIW: Your thoughts? Also--vouchers?

carl67lp

Supreme [H]ardness
I've applied for a Web design job where I currently work (upward move), and I'm thinking that adding a few letters to my resume might be a good idea.

To that end, I'm looking at the CIW certifications; specifically, I'd be going for the Master CIW Web Site Manager Certification. This is sort of a middle-of-the-road certificate; neither too simple, nor too complicated.

I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this particular brand of certifications, the CIW. My Web design professor from a couple years ago mentioned them, but that was about it.

Finally, while the tests aren't as expensive as some--they're $175 a piece--I'd still like to find less-costly vouchers if possible. Does anyone have any leads?

Thanks for any input.

I put it right next to my A+ certification in the category of which I can say in 9 years of working in IT I have never had an employer ask if I had one. They only seem to care about specific certifications like MCSE, CCNA, CNE. Noone really cares about A+, Network+, Inet+, CIW, or atleast in my expierience no one does.

Originally posted by Ruckus
I put it right next to my A+ certification in the category of which I can say in 9 years of working in IT I have never had an employer ask if I had one. They only seem to care about specific certifications like MCSE, CCNA, CNE. Noone really cares about A+, Network+, Inet+, CIW, or atleast in my expierience no one does.

But conversely, what if you're applying for a Web design position? Sure, in a tech support role, no one cares if you can do XHTML. But with a job in Web design, the interviewer might care that you've proven your skills in a certifiable fashion.

ohh in case I didnt mention I am a web designer as well as a server administrator. ;)

Im not saying not to get it Im just saying I have never been asked if I possesed one. and i dont really check for them when i hire a web designer. I look more at portfolio of work.

Back