Cisco Lovers - Picks of my work network

ikellen

Gawd
I know there is a thread about post pics of your network, but this is not my network, and I thought the whole forum would like to see this:

Full Pic of the rack. This is an extension of the network in another school that is right next to the school I work at, but this beafy 4500 became the main switch.
full-net.jpg

Multiple Fiber Links to the other school to connect the various network hardware
fiber-links.jpg

About 35 wired links for workstations in this building. Most of the building is wireless, so wall jacks aren't really needed.
wired-links.jpg

The massive, loud 120mm fans on the switch chassis:
switch-fans.jpg

You're probably wondering about the notebook in the first pic. Our main supervisor module went dead on us today, so we were hacking away at the IOS terminal trying to get it to work.
switch-console.jpg

The problem ended up being a hardware failure, but luckily we had a backup module, so we hooked that up and the network is all back up. This switch does all the VLANs, as well as handling the WAPs. I'll try to get pics of the other buildings network later this week.

Enjoy :D

If I walked into a networking closet/room and saw all the patch cables like that, I'd fire you :) j/k

Nice Setup

worst fucking setup EVAR.

if i saw that i would KILL YOU then /SUICIDE>

CLEAN DEM CABLES BOY BEFORE I MAKE MY WAY TO CA.

other than that, not bad,

how do the new 4500s compare to 6500 series in terms of backplane capacity, etc.?

Originally posted by []wave
worst fucking setup EVAR.

if i saw that i would KILL YOU then /SUICIDE>

CLEAN DEM CABLES BOY BEFORE I MAKE MY WAY TO CA.

I actually didn't wire that panel, but sometime when we have a slow day we'll get in there with some velcro wraps and clean that mess up. I agree, it looks like ass right now.

you DAMN Right you will.

pretty switch like that doesn't need to be disguised as a wire mess!

yar har har :)

heh...you guys who are giving him shit about the patch cord mess...are you kidding? That's one of the cleaner one's I've seen. Our main server room is nothing less than a total clusterfuck of patch cords going between 8 switches, the core, and 11 patch panels.

I'll clean it up if/when my boss gives me comp time to do it over a weekend. :D

all that great hardware ruined by the piss poor cabling job, sinc you were on site fixing one piece of hardware, you should have taken the 10-15 minutes, to re-move the wires (since the network is already down) and wrap it up right, and put everthing back in, you could have used zip ties if you did not have the velcro(that i dont like(i think zip ties look neater but thats just me) on you.

Originally posted by []wave
you DAMN Right you will.

pretty switch like that doesn't need to be disguised as a wire mess!

yar har har :)

hehe just for that I'll show you our 2 6509's which are so cluttered you can hardly see the lights :mad: I came in after they had hooked up this building and since then I've been trying my hardest to clean it up.

I'll post em up in a "rats Nest" post

[]wave
how do the new 4500s compare to 6500 series in terms of backplane capacity, etc.?

I am pretty sure the 4500s > 6509(in terms of backplane) we have but the 6509 is a little older....4500 with SUPIV module in it..ill post pics in the sticky later this week :)

when i get into my new job on the 26th as IT manager at 30 person office i will shock and disgust you all with the setup they have there now :D and no cable cleaning is going to fix it. remind me to post pics if i forget, but in the meantime let me leave you with this teaser . . . . there is no lan room . . . :eek:

well pics are KINDA pointless here unless you built and installed it all yourself ;)

but bring it on.

Originally posted by shade91
Just a lousy switch? I wanna see the routers :D.

Most high-end Cisco Catalyst products (i.e 4000+ series) are layer-3 switches; in other words, they are switching routers.

Originally posted by dagamore
all that great hardware ruined by the piss poor cabling job, sinc you were on site fixing one piece of hardware, you should have taken the 10-15 minutes, to re-move the wires (since the network is already down) and wrap it up right, and put everthing back in, you could have used zip ties if you did not have the velcro(that i dont like(i think zip ties look neater but thats just me) on you.

EDIT: sorry folks............

Originally posted by ikellen
When you have 500 users complaining that they can't access their mail or files, you're going to work on the problem at hand, not the asthetics of a rack, tard.

I thought this was a flame free forum, guess not. I liked how to picked out my comment (note it was not a flame) and ignored the other post that said just about the same thing above it.

I under stand working on the issue, but say you have the network down, so fix the wireing while you are waiting for some thing, like if you have to reflash the iso (and that takes a long time over xmodem) once you get the router (or switch as the case may be) flashing, you could then work on the cabling.

I have yet to be on a networking problem, where there was not some slack time (or down time) while the network was down waiting on something to do something, from an iso reload, to another person re configuring the rip tables. I know I could get that cleaned up, with out un-plugging anything, in 15 to 25 minutes, and have it looking damn nice. I could do it faster if I could rip and repull.

I am sorry if you can’t handle 500 users with a minor outage, and I do mean minor, hell it was only 500 users, that’s like 1 floor of the main building I work in. I know most people don’t work for massive companies with 75-85k users on the network (note that’s users not workstations, workstations and other attached devices is well over 150k) but some of us do. I know I would get yelled at by my supervisor if I did not get the wiring cleaned up and properly labeled after working on it, it would either have to be done while working on the fix, or right after the fix was done.

Originally posted by dagamore
I thought this was a flame free forum, guess not. I liked how to picked out my comment (note it was not a flame) and ignored the other post that said just about the same thing above it.

I under stand working on the issue, but say you have the network down, so fix the wireing while you are waiting for some thing, like if you have to reflash the iso (and that takes a long time over xmodem) once you get the router (or switch as the case may be) flashing, you could then work on the cabling.

I have yet to be on a networking problem, where there was not some slack time (or down time) while the network was down waiting on something to do something, from an iso reload, to another person re configuring the rip tables. I know I could get that cleaned up, with out un-plugging anything, in 15 to 25 minutes, and have it looking damn nice. I could do it faster if I could rip and repull.

I am sorry if you can’t handle 500 users with a minor outage, and I do mean minor, hell it was only 500 users, that’s like 1 floor of the main building I work in. I know most people don’t work for massive companies with 75-85k users on the network (note that’s users not workstations, workstations and other attached devices is well over 150k) but some of us do. I know I would get yelled at by my supervisor if I did not get the wiring cleaned up and properly labeled after working on it, it would either have to be done while working on the fix, or right after the fix was done.

agreed

agreed

and if you leave the job after implementing WITHOUT your documentation UP TO DATE AND PERFECT, well....that's almost as bad as having your cabling be a mess :( :( :(

Back