Cisco Lab Setup Suggestions

brachy33

Gawd
I am trying my best to get a nice Cisco lab setup at my apartment to finish the CCNA on my own as well as begin studies on the Security and Storage certs. I have come across the following hardware for my lab (some bought while other hardware donated via some kind friends), but I am under the impression that (and this is b/c of what I read in the first few chapters of the CCNA 2 Companion Guide) I will need to get some WIC1T serial cards. Here is the current hardware that I have:

(1) 2621 router w/IOS 12.3.15 16MB/64MB; dual FA ports
(1) 2620 router w/IOS 12.3.15 16MB/64MB; T1 CSU/DSU WIC; single FA port
(1) 2620 router w/IOS 12.3.15 16MB/32MB; single FA port
(1) 2950 switch 24 ports

Would it be possible to setup the timings of the T1 WIC (without actually having a T1 line from the telco) and then connect the routers via straight through cables and their available FA ports to simulate the 3-router labs? Or, do I need to purchase several Serial T1 WICs for the routers and use the typical DCE/DTE serial connection route for my studies?

Thanks for any pointers!

You can use the T1 CSU DSU WICs if you want. A regular serial interface will suffice for CCNA, but it's still fun to play with.

Run a T1 crossover cable between your two routers. You can easily make one. Pins 1,2,4 and 5 are used. Google it.

Configure one side as "clock source internal" and the other as "clock source line" (one side provides the clocking)

Hope that helps

The T1 configuration is not in CCNA. You don't need to learn to configure that WIC. What you DO need is a serial port. Also, you wouldn't be able to use that single T1 port since you don't have an actual line to connect it to. However, you should be able to learn most if not all of the concepts of using IOS from your equipment, and routing. The things you'll be missing out on are the WAN link configurations, such as PPP, Frame Relay, and some other serial connections configurations.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Would it be wise then to try to find, say 3 - T1 Serial WICs for the routers and learn that side for the CCNA as opposed to trying to connect up the routers via the FA ports? I was thinking of getting the following unless someone objects:

http://www.digitalhoop.com/cisco_wic_1t_wan_interface_card.asp

I can probably find these WICs cheaper elsewhere, but I haven't yet decided if these are exactly what I need. Also, and I understand that the CCNA texts go over working in the lab with serial connections, BUT shouldn't I be able to do the 3 - router labs connecting up all the routers via patch cables?

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
http://www.digitalhoop.com/cisco_wic_1t_wan_interface_card.asp
I can probably find these WICs cheaper elsewhere, but I haven't yet decided if these are exactly what I need. Also, and I understand that the CCNA texts go over working in the lab with serial connections, BUT shouldn't I be able to do the 3 - router labs connecting up all the routers via patch cables?

In networking, you work with many different types of interfaces that have a specific purpose. The patch cables are used for Ethernet access (LAN), while the WIC cards (and associated cables) are used for WAN access (WAN) like for T1’s etc.

Since you're trying to pass the CCNA exam don’t get confused, just use the standard interfaces for their intended purposes. That’s why you need a WIC card which stands for WAN interface card to simulate connecting to T1’s.

What you are trying to do is simulate that you have, for example, a router in New York and you are sending traffic to another router in California. At California, you are sending traffic to yet another router in Texas. That is only done using the WAN interfaces.

The easiest way is to do this is to buy the cheapest WIC-1T cards you can find (similar to the link you provided) and just get some DTC/DCE serial DB60 cross-over cables from Ebay or MonoPrice.com for about $7 bucks.

Another choice is the buy a WIC-2T card (2 wan ports on one card using smart serial)) and then buy a
Cisco WIC-2T Smart Serial ss-ss back to back Cable
, but it costs more money.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You can get use out of that T-1. Just do frame relay over it. You will have frame relay questions on your exam. You can do PPP over it as well, which will also help you. That's a pretty good setup. You can use it as a base for moving up into CCNP and higher. Just get some L3 switches.

Back